1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reducing overscan on Philips 32PW9308... Anyone with service menu experience ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by xkrissx, Jul 15, 2003.

1. xkrissx

xkrissx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips 32PW9308 TV and would like to reduce the outrageous amount of overscan.

I'm only interested in fixing the 'widescreen' picture format. That's the picture format that is used when viewing anamorphic video. I don't care that much about the other picture formats (4:3 or 16:9, where the latter is used for non-anamorphic video).

I had a look at the service menu to see what relevant options are being offered. It offers 4 different display modes which can be adjusted. It is especially unclear to me when GEO-NOR, GEO-SW and GEO-100Hz are applicable.

(1) GEO-NOR :
    V-slope
    V-shift
    V-amplitude
    => When this mode is selected anamorphic video is displayed exactly as the picture I normally get when viewing anamorphic video in 'widescreen' picture format.

(2) GEO-4:3 :
    I won't be needing this one, I only require adjustment of 'widescreen' picture format.

(3) GEO-SW :
    V S-correction
    H amplitude
    East/West parabola
    => When this mode is selected anomorphic video is displayed DIFFERENTLY than the picture I normally get when viewing anamorphic video in 'widescreen' picture format. So, it looks to me this is NOT a mode that needs changing ?

(4) GEO-100Hz :
    Vslope
    => When this mode is selected anamorphic video is displayed exactly as the picture I normally get when viewing anamorphic video in 'widescreen' picture format.

To summarize...

Which of the the above settings should be changed to reduce overscan in 'widescreen' picture format ?

If I make an horizontal change (e.g. make the horizontal size of the picture smaller and thus effectively reducing overscan) should I also compensate for it by modifying the vertical settings (i.e. reduce the vertical settings with the same percentageas I did with the horizontal settings ?) ?

And finally, I also noticed when using the THX test screen that the image is horizontally off center. It is possible to center the image horizontally by using any of the above options ?

Any information you can provide me with is VERY VERY much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The adjustments to look for are HSIZE (width) VSIZE (hight)
    and HSHIFT or HPOS (horizontal position). Be careful not to set to an underscan as this can upset philips chassis.

3. xkrissx

xkrissx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback, HowieC.
    Apparently the settings you refer to are labeled differently with my TV. So, I was wondering how they might called on my TV :

VSIZE (hight)
    => Is this the same as my "GEO-NOR : V-Amplitude" ?

HSIZE (width)
    => Is this the same as my "GEO-SW : H amplitude" ?
    => Unfortunately, I probably cannot use any of the settings in the GEO-SW menu since anamorphic video is displayed differently than when normally viewing anamorphic-video. Thus making it impossible to correctly align the picture.

HSHIFT or HPOS (horizontal position)
    => I cannot find anything that might be this (VSHIFT is present though, but not HSHIFT)

Tonight when I get home I will be re-checking the other menus for any of the settings you have mentioned and that I might have missed.

Also, is there any way to detect when you're about to underscan ? Or is it best to simply play it safe and always leave a small part of overscan ?

4. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HAMP and VAMP might be what you are looking for, although its an odd description. It should be easy enough to verify they are the correct adjustments with a careful one or two point tweak. Obvious I know but...... MAKE A NOTE OF THE SETTINGS BEFORE YOU START TWEAKING. And I mean all settings, its all too easy to accidentally change a setting without meaning to.
    As regards underscan, most domestic sets will register major underscan as a fault and may shut down, at which point you are ****ed. Reduce scan in gentle steps, never whack it down just to see what it looks like.