Reducing 'line' audio level

Rob100

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My amp is a Sony STRDB-940S. For a couple of years we've been feeding the 'surround' output from out Panasonic TV (with Pro-logic decoder inbuilt) into the amps 5.1 channel input. Although this hasn't given us the best of sound quality it was simple and you could control the audio level using the TV's remote.

Why use the TV's remote...? Well basically because when fed with a line level input, using the remote to control the amp is too "fierce". What I mean is you give it a little tap and it goes too loud, a little tap down and you can hardly hear it. Using the knob on the front of the amp is a little more precise, but still not as much control as I'd like. When fed with an optical or coax input the input level is much lower and you have greater control.

I am currently looking at purchasing a Plasma, which ultimately means the TV will go and we will have to use the amp to control volume. What I am looking for is a little 'gizmo' that I can connect between the Sky box (or other device with analogue connection to the amp) that will reduce the input level (by approx 50% lets say) - without sacrificing quality too much.

I would be grateful of any ideas that anyone may have.

Thanks,

Rob.

Reducing the level?

Well, a (stereo-)potentiometer of 10kOhms should do the trick - can find it in electronic shops.

Thanks for the replies. Is it really as simple as adding a pot in series...

There certainly isn't any option to reduce the output on my STB.

Rob.

I'm surprised you can't alter the output of the STB. Most have two sets of audio outs - one variable and the other fixed. Russ Andrews sell an attenuating cable - just what you're looking for. Haven't tried it though.

Not in series, in parallel:

Input----
.............|
.............P--------Output
.............|
Input----o--------Output

P is the potentiometer (ignore the dots).

I have ordered an attenuated cable from Russ Andrews. I'll report back once I have it to let you know if it worked as expected.

Rob.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom