Reducing grain in SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision, what settings should I look at?

Plextinate

Novice Member
Hi everyone, I have recently got an LG OLED TV, the B1. I have played around with the settings and adjusted some preset modes to my preference. For instance, I prefer the color temperature to be neutral for films and series opposed to Warm 50. No matter how accurate it's meant to be. Cool 50 for sports.

I am wondering which settings I should be looking at to reduce grain for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision? For example I am watching Hawkeye on Disney+ and there's still some grain in Dolby Vision. Is it OLED Brightness I ought to be looking at? No drawback with that? I tend to be on the side of wanting to max as much as possible to show the power of the TV. Without making the picture look oversaturated and whatnot.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone, I have recently got an LG OLED TV, the B1. I have played around with the settings and adjusted some preset modes to my preference. For instance, I prefer the color temperature to be neutral for films and series opposed to Warm 50. No matter how accurate it's meant to be. Cool 50 for sports.

I am wondering which settings I should be looking at to reduce grain for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision? For example I am watching Hawkeye on Disney+ and there's still some grain in Dolby Vision. Is it OLED Brightness I ought to be looking at? No drawback with that? I tend to be on the side of wanting to max as much as possible to show the power of the TV. Without making the picture look oversaturated and whatnot.
Film grain is meant to be there. It’s part of the film and what the director, producer and editor wants you to see. You aren’t showing off the power of your TV by creating an unnatural image, quite the opposite.

But if you really want to then turn on noise reduction, turn up sharpness and you will smudge out the grain. It will make everything look unnatural and fades look plastic but there we go.

If you want a tip, a big one, stick it on filmmaker mode and just don’t change anything. Just watch stuff for two weeks. Then see what you think. Your eyes and brain are just used to watching highly processed and harsh images and you think that’s what they should look like. If you have two weeks of watching content as it’s supposed to be then I’m sure you will never go back. I did the same when I started getting into home cinema. Used to just watching stuff on standard out of box settings. Set up my TV with suggested settings and thought it looked terrible. But was persuaded to stick with it. And now…no more unnatural stuff.

You’ve bought an OLED and frankly if you wanted an unnatural bright image you would have been better getting something else. OLEDs really only shine in a dark cinema style environment and when setup to play cinematic material how it’s meant to be shown, that’s the power of the TV and not artificial processing. If you try it for a couple of weeks and genuinely hate it then you can always go back.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
1) Avoid engaging noise reduction especially on high quality sources including 4K streams. Film grain is part of the film and do not do anything that will supress it. Worst case, leave it in Low.

2) For movies, recommended colour temp is Warm or above.

Looks like the OP falls in the grain hater / everything must pop category which are major red flags IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom