Reducing footprint of power cables / plugs

mivecboy

Standard Member
hi people,

i have just bought a really nice Soundstyle WG4 unit that i want to place flush against the wall, but will have around 7 items in it that all need power plugs. to have a whacking great 8 way powerplug sticking out the side will look messy, but having the 8 way placed behind the unit will bring it out a couple of inches from the wall.

has anyone got ideas what i can do other than have the power plugs inside the unit ? i remember using a multiblock adapter where you would chop the 3pin plugs off and wire on small 2 pin plugs. any ideas please ? dont want my install to look like spaghetti junction.

thanks in advance, phil

spl23

You can get multiway adaptors that take IEC plugs rather than standard UK mains plugs, and then use IEC extension leads. Something like http://cpc.farnell.com/PL09688/elec...uct.us0?sku=powerdata-technologies-h15uiec-10 for example - that is a 10-way, but they come in smaller sizes.

Alternatively, you can buy mains plugs that take multiple bare cables, such as http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=25365&doy=7m5

Either of those will be tidier than a standard multiblock and will take less space.

mivecboy

Standard Member
Thats very helpful :)

Am thinking the maplins answer possibly. Would mean chopping the plugs off all my kit, including the plasma. Any risk doing that ?

Of course it would mean the setup would have to be pretty static once its all wired in lol

spl23

Am thinking the maplins answer possibly. Would mean chopping the plugs off all my kit, including the plasma. Any risk doing that ?
None at all as long as you wire the resulting cables correctly into the multiplug. If you don't want to damage your original cables, just buy a bunch of IEC mains cables when you buy the multiplug and use those instead - you can then always go back to the original cables if they don't work out for some reason.

mivecboy

Standard Member
Are IEC plugs what we'd normally call kettle plugs ? I think a lot of my kit has the leads hard wired into it. Will have to check but good idea, rather not chop the plasma lead off if I can help it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom