• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Reducing costs - Sky / Virgin or alternatives ?

simon1967

Hi all,
I’m doing a bit of spring cleaning on my aging AV set-up and I want to get my monthly costs down on my sky / broadband etc.

At present I have:
Sky (£92) - Sky Movies, Sports & BT Sports
Virgin (£52) - Fibre Broadband, Phone + TiVo box (unused)
Amazon Prime (£5.99)

The kids don't watch anything on sky as they watch everything on YouTube. The missus watches box sets (from iTunes) - not sky as she prefers to download them straight to her iPad. I watch movies and football / moto GP which all seems to be on BT Sport now.

So, I don't use Amazon Prime or the TiVo box on Virgin (it's cheaper as a package) but I'm sure that I can probably do it all much cheaper by utilising all the alternatives out there.

The broadband has to stay with Virgin as Sky Fibre / BT Infinity isn't available in my area. I don't use the home landline and I don't think I'd miss all the cold calls ;). However, I seem to recall that you have to have a home landline in order to have broadband - unless that's changed?

I do like the Sky GUI and am attracted to Sky Q. I also need HD multiroom as we watch 2 TVs independently.

I’m completely in the dark with all the alternatives - amazon, Netflix, now TV as well as on demand services as everything has been through Sky. Both my kids also have PS4s which I believe can also be use to stream movies etc.

So it's all over the place so looking for some advice on how to streamline everything and hopefully get the costs down :).

Thx

TJT1

Distinguished Member
I don't use the home landline and I don't think I'd miss all the cold calls.
Then there's an easy fix for that. Unplug the phone.:D

simon1967

Then there's an easy fix for that. Unplug the phone.:D

I don't know why, but I had it in my head that you had to have a landline if you wanted broadband. I've just spent an hour on the phone with Virgin & they've assured me that's not the case so thats a £19 line rental charge just binned straight away. I think I have some call saver options on there as well which will save a few more pennies.

Still in the dark about Sky v Virgin v Netflix etc. Virgin are offering me BB, 3 boxes + Sky Sports & BT Sports for £110 ish per month. The only thing that I don't like about the Tivo Virgin set-up is that all the boxes are independent so if I record in one room, that's the room I have to watch in. I'm gonna speak to Sky later and see what they say....

TJT1

Distinguished Member
I'm gonna speak to Sky later and see what they say....
They will say to go for SkyQ as that will solve your 'watching in the other room' problem at a stroke. It may just introduce a few other problems such as connectivity, but that's a different story:D

d10brp

They will say to go for SkyQ as that will solve your 'watching in the other room' problem at a stroke. It may just introduce a few other problems such as connectivity, but that's a different story:D
To be fair, Sky will normally hard wire a solution if they can't achieve a stable connection between Q boxes

justincase

Doubt you will be reducing costs much if at all by going with sky Q
Personally i would phone to cancel your sky subscription if out of contract and try for a better offer..
i used to pay £44 for movies,sport and multiroom but now i dont use sky at all

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom