1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reduced price DVD's and reissues

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dak, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am sure that I am not the only one to be tempted by reduced price DVD's, only to see a month or so later that a new version of the same film is out, only this time with DTS / superbit / directors cut etc etc. I keep ending up with 2 versions (I know, I don't learn).

Does anyone know of a site that lets me know what is coming out when I try to purchase DVD's - ie that says 'yes you can buy this at reduced price but did you know for £xx a DTS directors cut will be released in x months....'

Dak

PS for example, should I buy the boxset of The Godfather that everyone is flogging off cheap, or is there something in the pipeline?

2. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've been stung in this way before. Sometimes on DVDCompare there will be a note about a forthcoming release, for example if you search for 'The Meaning of Life' it has given the specs of the new release due in September.

There are also quite a few on line magazines, eg, dvdtimes and dvddebate, so I usually do an online search for the title I'm interested in to see if there are any stories of upcoming releases. This works pretty well, but it doesn't help when your in the highstreet and you've seen something reduced and you have an impulse to get it on the spot.

3. shakur96

shakur96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't bother with the godfather boxset. These films are being re-released individually soon - better versions I would have thought. It's no coincidence everyone's selling them on the cheap, I even saw amazon trying to shift them for £19.99 a while ago.

4. jackjones

jackjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had that thought when it dropped to £30 last autumn and asked Almar over at the BBC site. According to him Paramount had no plans to release separate discs (mind you MGM stated they were not going to release Robocop without is having to wade through R2 and R3!). What's the news on the re-release? Not sure what else they could add as extras but avoiding G3 would be a bonus.

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    DVD review mag does a good release schedule keep an eye on that, its invaluable.

for example i noticed this week that on 01/09/2003 the "DTS" version of "saving private ryan" is released

Gary

6. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    shouldnt that be REreleased, as there is a DTS version already, without the introduction by SS and the short documentary about his early childhood war film footage

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    You can also check the release calander at www.totaldvd.com which is below the news stories.

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get rid of the one you don't want. That helps fund the 'upgrade' and gives you more shelf space ;)

9. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good idea! That'll please the missus as well.....

10. shakur96

shakur96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well they're available to pre-order on play right now. Although they don't have release dates or artwork available. Seems odd they would do this without Paramount telling them they're being re-released.