RedTails Auro 3D - finally. Well worth the wait!

djnickm

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well, when I purchased RedTails a few years ago on first release I had high expectations for the sound mixing. For a start it was originally recorded and mastered in Auro 3D and secondly it's a Lucas film. But I was unbelievably disappointed by the delivery of a boring, dull, lack of dynamics and pretty unimmersive sound mix.

So a few months back when I noted that it had been released with a full Auro encoding I was super excited and of course purchased instantly.

Well again I was greatly disappointed as I found the encoding had been done incorrectly and thus no Auro stream to choose.

But a week or so ago I received an updated disc from the distributing studio and am more than happy to report it has a full and certainly more than working Auro 11.1 stream buried within a 5.1 LPCM package. And this time there is no disappointment.

From the beginning to the end there is no let up from the amazing sound mixing work. Every channel of the 11.1 system has been utilised to its full whilst remaining natural and non distracting.

The VOG gets a mighty work out. Best hope you have some good speakers installed as there are quite a few fly overs that when coupled with the subs certainly rock the room. My Datasat RS20i and amps haven't had this much of a work out in ages. And similarly for the PHC LFC15 and Aerial SW12 subs... Working well together to get my screen vibrating. Haha...

And the dialogue is crystal clear. You have a dog fight going on, literally all around you, while being able to hear the faintest voices from behind a muffling breathing apparatus.

And while of course all the bombastic dog fights are fully immersive and exciting, again, for me the most realistic aspect of Auro 3D is when watching scenes of the characters chatting on the airfield. What Auro does is recreate atmospherics incredibly well. It sounds like I'm sitting in an open sided tent with them but also aware this tent is clearly on a very large open space. The natural echo of open fields with the sounds of planes flying all around. Some very close and some far far away. In all directio

So, really this is just a notification to all that have Auro to get this disc in your collection. This WILL be your new reference disc. Forget gravity in Atmos etc. I have not heard a domestic system playing non DCI Auro content sound so good. It truly is mind blowing.

Last edited:
May well have a good auro sound track but this was one of the worst films I've seen in years. Adding bells and whistles doesn't suddenly make it a good film. As they say "you can't polish a turd"

Is this a UK release?

It's only in Germany but can be purchased from this link

Amazon.com: Red Tails: Movies & TV

The Auro stream is in English.

May well have a good auro sound track but this was one of the worst films I've seen in years. Adding bells and whistles doesn't suddenly make it a good film. As they say "you can't polish a turd"

Oh wow, yeah the film it self isn't great. Could have been so so much better. But you have some awful films to watch if you feel this is one of the worst you have seen in years lol... May I recommend a film called Dead Cert... Lol... This will seem like an Oscar winner after that! Haha.

But I found the first non Auro version somewhat unwatchable due to the film being quite poor and the sound mix being even worse. But with the new sound mix it's much much more immersive and therefore a much better watch. I can still enjoy a movie if most of the elements are good. And the movie itself is almost good, the sound, however, I'd give a good 9/10 now.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Dammit, it's threads like this that my credit card absolutely hates :D

I dont know what the whole film like but saw the last 20 minutes or so and did not think it bad although a bit OTT with the action and the white flyers towards the black ones at the end of the film
As they say "you can't polish a turd"
Actually you can.:laugh:
Polish.jpg

Here's one they did earlier.
turd-polish.jpg

A brilliant story of WWII and the struggles of African Americans which so deserved to be told. Sadly this film made a mockery of those brave individuals...................and the aircraft involved. True Lucas Star Wars CGI with impossible aircraft manouevers.

No amount of tinkering can make this film worth watching. Utter crap.

So the german dts track is not auro? Just the English pcm?

How do I know I've got auro version?
All other discs say auto/DTS
This one just says pcm

Selecting the Audio (Einstellungen) options in the Main Menu will give you an option for Auro

IMG_0911.JPG

The steelbook with the Auro track was released on the 17th of May 2013

Last edited:
They sent wrong version, unreal, they sending proper one, well auro are

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom