1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RedJag Computers Media Centre PC - Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Neelix, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just came across these guys RedJag Computers Media Centre PC and I must say at first glance I like their offering. The price is pretty keen for the standard spec but the fact you can customise somewhat makes it more appealing. The motherboard is the Optronix OP-K9M200G-MLF which looks like a fairly solid M-ATX motherboard with good on board graphics. That said I would be adding the 128mb 6600GT card to improve dvd playback. The spec that I am looking at is:

Media Centre PC
    DVDRW (Dual Layer)
    1Gb DDR 400
    Onboard Sound 5.1
    Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
    Windows XP Media Centre
    250Gb S-ATA Drive 8Mb Buffer
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (939)
    128Mb GeForce 6600GT (PCI-X)
    Optronix OP-K9M200G-MLF
    3 Years Return To Base (RTB)

Total Cost - £1005 (inc VAT & delivery)

I have been advised that it is very quiet in operation (how quiet in terms of dba he couldn't say) and that the lead time on delivery is only 7 days :) I really like the look of the case and the spec seems very good for the price with a 3yr warranty. So what do peeps think? Anyone have one of these or had any experience of RedJag Computers? What do you think of the spec and cost?

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not had any dealings with redjag, and I'd be loathed to make any comments on a competitor ;) , though I can vouch for the motherboard used (this is identical to the EQS M56K9-MLF we use in our media centres. EQS are the importer, optronix rebrand them), it's excellent for HTPC.
    I'm still not convinced about the Enlight case they use yet though, but that's more a personal choice.

Cost for the spec seems reasonable - what keyboard/mouse combo is it?

3. U187146

U187146
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like pretty good value for me. You may also want to check out the Mesh X4 (which new) as this had similar spec. One thing I couldn't see on the RedJag was a TV card, which seems an odd thing not to include on a media PC.

4. redjag

redjag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just so you know first, I work for RedJag Computers, so I'm a little biased ;)

Ok, just to answer the questions so far:

Keyboard / Mouse: You can customise this on the page - the default spec uses Microsoft Wireless Keyboard & Optical Mouse.

There are two DVB-T cards in the machine - they are AverMedia DVB-T MCE Certified cards - and I can personally vouch for the quality!

The Optronix boards are not rebranded EQS. Optronix & EQS are manufactured in the same factory in China as well as other leading brands on the market. EQS are a support centre for motherboards & VGA cards and they do supply a small amount of product under a generic brand. Optronix offer a 3 year end user direct warranty and technical support.

Once we get our hands on a dBa meter, we will post readings.

Andy

5. redsuperfly

redsuperfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy I've emailled you about my problem. Looks like redjag have dissapearred off the face of the earth, along with my PC I sent back for repair, and a couple of customers' payments for PCs they haven't yet recieved.

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just the chap to provide a valid link to your website then :smashin:

The original link doesn't work and I can't access http://www.redjag.co.uk

Thanks

Dave

7. redsuperfly

redsuperfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like I said, dropped off the face of the Earth it seems.

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, sorry about that. I hadn't noticed it was an old thread. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Dave

9. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
  10. neillans

neillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just so you know, I'm the Andy that worked for RedJag; my employment with them ceased around a month, month and a half ago. Afraid I don't know anything for certain, however, their website going is not a good sign; the company was virtually ALL internet sales based.

I'm still trying to contact them myself in order to sort out my paperwork (P45 etc), but am having similair difficulties.

I have found this link regarding them : http://www.teneric.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=586&page=1. It seems I'm not the only one that parted ways.

I've also done some digging on the domain name front, in order to see if it was a problem with the domain name etc. There isn't, which leaves it being that their Web Host has pulled the plug on the site. Certainly not a good sign!

At this point, I'd strongly recommending anyone who has an outstanding interest (incomplete order, machine in for repair, whatever), contact your Citizens Advice FIRST THING IN THE MORNING. Don't forget to say that they are a Scottish company, as the legal system is different up here from the English / Welsh etc.

I'm hoping to try and get to their offices some time this week, in the hopes of getting my paperwork - I'll post back any findings etc. If I do speak to anyone, I'll try and get them to let you guys (customers) know what is going on.

:(

Andy

11. redsuperfly

redsuperfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear, looks like they're dead then.

I've contacted Selkirks Citizen Advice and they're gonna ring me back.

I'm really worried now. Would there be any way of getting onto the premises and getting my computer (in for "repair") back if I went in person?

12. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    You could try...but you prolly have to beat down anyone who gets in your way.., at you have a good reason though...

13. neillans

neillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did a drive by today - no one home.
    I even popped into the building reception, but they don't know whats going on either. :(

Not sure on this front - might be something to as Citizens Advice where you stand on that front. If they have gone under, I would expect any liquidator (or whatever) to return any goods that have been received for repair (as long as they are marked ...), as I don't see that they can class them as 'stock' or resaleable. New machines that havent shipped are another matter though.

14. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    would also suggest you keep an eye out for a liquidator being appointed and you stake your claim to your goods as quickly as possible. I hope you have your serial numbers or at least that your equipment is clearly marked.

Cheers

Rajiv

15. neillans

neillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the best way to watch out for a liquidator being assigned?

16. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    mmm that's a bit beyond me. I think there is an official publication but its hard to know. You'll probably just have to keep checking news, you could ask the CAB again, sorry never been so misfortunate.

Cheers

Rajiv

17. redsuperfly

redsuperfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow still nothing.

If anyone can help track down the Managing Director - Alistair Thompson, we might be able to shed some light on this.

This is crazy.