Redecorating, need options on speakers for 5.1

Davek0974

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

we are redecorating our main TV/Living room, we have a Samsung 55" TV and Yamaha AV receiver with a REL sub, existing speakers are a mix of Mission and Tannoy. Front and rears are wall mounted - this is what we need to get rid of.

The walls are being re-plastered and we don't want to be drilling speaker mounts into them. Current speakers are about 300 x 150 x 150 so not too small either.

Centre speaker is a Tannoy twin driver.

What options do we have to maybe go smaller on surrounds, not bought speakers for about 20 years so i'm out of touch.

Is there any point looking at sound-bars?

We could go floor-standing possibly.

Any ideas??
Thanks

Sound bars should only be looked at if you need convenience, don't want the extra cabling and don't need the connectivity of an avr. Virtual or fake surround is never as good as the real thing which is why you always see surround speakers in commercial and domestic home cinema enthusiasts.

It's difficult to recommend without knowing your budget and what your room looks like.

You mention that you don't want to go drilling the walls, but that floor-standing is a possibility. How else can you do it? Maybe my imagination is failing me.

I'm guessing you don't want in-wall speakers?

LOL, yes i was i bit baffling there :)

Floor-standers are fine, or bookshelf, which is the same thing i guess without a stand :)

Will forget about soundbars.

Is size still important when looking at surrounds?

The rears could do with being much smaller I think, they really don't see much raw power/volume in our situation. How close do you think rears can go? In the current setup they are level with our heads front/back and 4' away L/R & 4' up near the ceiling/corners.

Its far from ideal but then we just have to do what we can :)

The rears don't need to be big because they are only for surround effects and most of the sounds come from the front and centre speaker.

Are there any recommendations for some small rear, wall-mounted speakers please?

Yes, something thats a bit less conspicuous than these, will need wall-mounts ;)

Hmm, around £200??

No real aesthetics, decor is gong modern, greys and whites.

Q Acoustics 7000i satelites are available in white and suitable as surrounds. They come with swivel brackets for wall or table top mounting so no extra cost of brackets

Q Acoustics 7000i satelites are available in white and suitable as surrounds. They come with swivel brackets for wall or table top mounting so no extra cost of brackets
They look ok, seem to be difficult to find in white, i've sent a few email enquiries out :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom