Redecorating my man cave

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by spencer_uk, Feb 28, 2014.

1. spencer_uk

spencer_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    (Or so to speak)

We are Redecorating at the moment and the next room on the list is the dedicated man cave that holds my projector, fixed screen and other assorted av goodies

Now it is currently a very light grey (almost white) colour which is rubbish for light reflection. Now my credentials as a man have been put into question as I don't have the required permission from Mrs S to paint it in full Black. Gun metal / dark grey was a proposed colour leaving the ceiling as white. Anyone have any thoughts? Or any colour ideas that work best with a projector that aren't black - looking for inspiration.

I guess this terrible confession probably knocks me down the AV geek score.

Obviously any mysoginism contained herein or that follows is tongue in cheek.

2. hati

hati

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Any dark colour with matte finish, dark blue and green could be good choices.

I have toyed with an idea of big black curtains that cover whole wall, they sit nicely at the corner when projector isn't in use and when it's time to watch a movie you pull them in front of that light wall. I have no idea how feasible or practical this would actually be but if it works it could be a good compromise between bat cave and white room.

3. cleverdave2k

cleverdave2k
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I went for gunmetal grey myself on the walls.
    As I have taken over the second living room and it looks good . It's dark but not pitch black
    painted my woodwork soft black border it what is more like a dark dark grey

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  4. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,607
    Check out the link in my sig (Home Cinema Number Four - though feel free to add your desert island films to the other one).

I use a mid-blue which is quite nice and then black velvet panels immediately around the screen.

Works for me.

Steve W

5. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    here's mine , black ceiling, brown matt walls ..

[​IMG]

6. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Yes I must say that the panels worked very well when you gave me a demo steve..

7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    It's a really hard balancing act to have a living room and a home cinema, so I fully understand your predicament: The ideal would be walls lined with black velvet (including the ceiling) but even 'proper' dedicated rooms often stop short of this. However, just making the walls a little darker will surely help.

I have pretty light grey side walls (though my screen wall is dark brown, that actually makes little difference to the image apart from making it less distracting). I'm planing something similar to Hati as I now have space to put a painted MDF maybe 9" wide 'door' in each front corner of the room to put black curtains behind when not viewing on the projector: Open the 'doors' and pull out the 'curtain' and attach the outer end to a hook (or perhaps concealed magnet in the wall with a piece of metal sewn inside the curtain top), coming out 2 metres or so should really help with reflections.

It's a far cry from the fancier all electric solution I've been dreaming of, but having taken most of last week implementing a TV lift to accommodate me having a matching centre level with the left/rights, I've realised that keeping it simple means I've more chance of actually achieving it before I reach 100. :D

Bottom line is that anything you can do to darken those critical first few feet out from the screen will help; even the comical 'tent' I made a few years back using thin black cotton made a massive difference to picture quality. It's just that it was so Heath Robinson to put up that it became a chore, though it nearly tripled my measured ANSI contrast from a lowly 75:1 up to 230:1 which I can say is a huge difference in terms of how dark blacks look in brighter scenes and generally how much more rich the image looked.

...one day I'll have a dedicated room and it won't be decorated with magnolia or have a cream carpet. :love:

8. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    Painting the ceiling dark would make the biggest improvement imo. Everyone seems to thing ceilings need to be white only in the UK?? Grow some balls and tell the Mrs your painting it black and that's that! :D

9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,446
  10. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    lol, loved the fast show. You ain't seen me, right!

11. hati

hati

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Spoken like a True Romantic...

Looking pictures of your room, before picture looked like you had black drapes along screen,if that was the case were they movable or permanently placed and how much they were helping in PQ department?

12. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    Without going to much off the op topic, yes the drapes (curtains) made a massive difference to PQ (contrast). They were fixed in place as I had no need to move them.

13. spencer_uk

spencer_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Sadly I traded in my balls get a new carbon road bike. The mild irony is I crashed it, breaking a few bones and now I spend most of my time indoors watching movies. I am on the mend now but it will be a while before I am back in action meaning I now get annoyed by all the light bouncing around the man cave.

14. totters1972

totters1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I went for a really dark red colour in my room. Not sure if the wife would let me paint the ceiling though.

15. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
    You don't need to paint the entire ceiling dark.
    See my dedicated room in my sig, I didn't want it totally black either.

16. spencer_uk

spencer_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Do you have part of it black? Hard to pick out....

I have a bit of a different situation where we have tall ceilings about 10ft high and a picture rail that starts two foot from the top of the wall. Over the picture rail is considered the ceiling so the top 20% of the wall will still be white :(

17. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    At least with such high ceilings you have the benefit of distance as the light reflected will be greatly reduced compared to a lower ceiling like mine which is under 8' high. The top of the visible part of my screen is maybe 18" from the ceiling, but the same sized screen in your room would be more than twice the distance from the ceiling. Any reflected light back to the screen has to travel 4 times further back to your screen, so at least in theory you should get less wash out from your white ceiling than I do anyway.

However, I've seen plenty of houses where they have painted above the rail the same colour (or a variation of) the wall colour, though it helps if there is coving where the ceiling meets the walls, but obviously this is down to personal taste. It can give the effect of visually lowering the ceiling compared to white above the picture rail though.

18. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,446
    You can see which parts need treating the most when you have a bright scene playing on the screen - they will light up quite visibly. If you treat those (they're usually nearest the screen), that should make the most difference. The whole room needs treating for best effect, but a lot of people will do the first 1.5m out from the screen as that's usually the worst offending area.

Gary

19. dasherdiablo1

dasherdiablo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I really like what you have done with the lighting - even though the ceiling is dark it appears light - how did you achieve this? Is it LED rope light? I would love to replicate this :0)

20. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    Yeah it's just some strips of LED set inside a pelmet , then spots pointing down :)

21. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Yes i agree! I thought at one point the ceiling was painted white and not black.

22. pressure

pressure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    We have a separate living room for AV. It's painted a rich dark blue - very sumptuous. At night the room is very dark.

The ceiling and the blinds over the window are white though they don't make much difference.

23. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
    Exactly :D
    It's only black velvet as far out as it needs to be, i.e. as far out as the light from the screen refelcts onto the ceiling :cool:

24. spencer_uk

spencer_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Cunning

And even though I have a separate room for AV I am still limited to keeping the ceiling white. Hopefully it will work as well as pressure's