Redcare

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Rob55, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Rob55

Rob55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I have some questions on Recare by BT. I have Redcare both at home and at my business and I have 5 different phone lines dating back to when we opened around 20 years ago, I hope I can downsize to 2-3 lines by putting Redcare on the same line as some of my other services.

Is it possible for a burglar to jam the alarm signal by calling the line from 2 phones at the same time? We currently have a dedicated ex-directory line for Redcare to avoid this happening.

Can Redcare, fax and broadband all co-exist on the same line without problems?

Thanks

Rob

2. tonymc

tonymc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any systems I have been around that have redcare have a dedicated phone line + a gsm dialer as back up, I know most business have what is like a small extange but redcare always like there line to be clean nothing but them on it

3. redcare

redcare
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The Redcare service, where enabled on your serving BT exchange, works on any standard BT telephone line, including those with Broadband. You do not need a separate line to the line you use for speech. If you're using a fax machine, you'll need to use a Redcare modem compatibility device (MCD) available from Redcare direct (btinstallershop.com).

Once in service, the Redcare system cannot be blocked or jammed by calling the line, since it doesn't work like that. The system is fail-safe and will report line cuts and any disconnection of the equipment within 40 seconds to your alarm receiving centre (ARC).

Have a look at our (classic) videos on YouTube which explain this well- spot the Ford Sierras! Search for ‘redcaretv’.

Thanks,
    Matt.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    When did it change as ADSL was always a BIG no no on monitored systems so were sky boxes.......How does the situation stand with sky boxes these days?

5. weta

weta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Redcare Classic

Redcare Classic is a grade 4 system that offers the most secure form of alarm signalling available. The service provides continuous monitoring of the BT telephone line that links a professionally installed alarm system on a customer’s premises to an Alarm Receiving Centre (ARC). The result is continuous protection, every second of the day, every day of the year.

Unlike other alarm signalling services, Redcare both alerts the ARC when it detects a line cut AND provides encryption to prevent the substitution of equipment or "spoofing" (emulation) of line conditions. This is why Redcare is the most secure system of its kind.

Key benefits and features:

No need for an extra telephone line (a Modem Compatible Device may be required if fax and data services are to be used on same line).
    Active, continuous 2-way monitoring - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
    High-speed alarm transmission summons help within a matter of seconds.
    Alarm signals can be delivered to the ARC even when the phone is in use.
    Encrypted signals which cannot be replicated.
    Instant detection if your phone line has been cut.
    Our duplicated network ensures the highest levels of resilience.
    No additional call charges.
    Ideal security and fire detection application for any home or business.

Source: BT Redcare

6. blicky_1

blicky_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +515
    We stopped using RedCare Classic as soon as RedCare GSM came out years back, we are now mainly using RedCare Secure as it's cheaper and the insurance companies don't care what it is as long as it starts with 'RedCare' lol

7. redcare

redcare
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding ‘hornydragon's post:

Redcare Classic and GSM can co-exist on a telephone line with Broadband. The only exception to this are systems using old Euro STU (subscriber terminating unit) equipment. All later STUs are compatible with Broadband.

Sky boxes can also share a line with Broadband. If the dial-up modem is connected (on the Sky box) to the telephone, it should use an MCD (modem compatibility device) as it works in a similar way to a fax.

Regarding ‘blicky_1's post:

Redcare Classic and GSM comply with insurance Grade 4. These are the fastest ‘fail- safe' products we provide at Redcare. Redcare Secure is available in 3 grades. Grade 2; GPRS primary path/ PSTN secondary path, Grade 3; GPRS primary path/ PSTN secondary path and Grade 4; IP primary path/ GPRS secondary path.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    HOw can one tell which is installed? Where can the MCDs be found?

9. redcare

redcare
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Redcare Classic just uses the landline connection, whereas Redcare GSM uses the landline, plus the GSM (O2's corporate network). Redcare GSM will have an antenna on or near the alarm panel. In weak reception areas, an external GSM antenna can also be used.

MCDs are available direct from Redcare. www.btinstallershop.com

Hope this helps,

Matt.

10. aymank

aymank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    I have a shop and wondering whether it's worth keeping red care on . My quote to renew for another 12 months is £620. I'm just wondering how much of an impact it will have on my insurance if I decide not to renew it . Surely it won't go up but £600+.