Red Wine Audio Mod For Ipod (Bass Roll Off)

kevH

"Red Wine Audio hMod (headphone output mod) now available! The stock coupling caps used in the iPod headphone output circuit are too small, which results in a known bass roll-off problem. For those who are using their iPod for direct headphone use, we offer the hMod. This replaces the stock surface-mount coupling caps with larger ones that do not roll-off the bass. Cost: $89.00 + $15.00 return shipping."

The above modification is offered by "Redwineaudio.com" for the known Ipod bass roll off problem which i raises a couple questions:

1) Is this problem still as evident on the new Nano & Ipod video??

2) If the problem still is evident in the newer versions is there anyone in the UK doing such modifications to enhance our listening experience ??

Anyone any thoughts ??????

extremelydodgy

Certainly on the Nano, the problem is hugely lessened. I would imagine from the feedback that the same applies to the 5G. Mine is yet to arrive.

kevH

Doesnt that mod disable the headphone out LFC ?? Id still wanna use a phone out as well as the line out thro a dock or lead to my hi fi system ??

Ah, so the problem IS being acknowledged now!
Looks like I wasn't imagining it after all ;)

extremelydodgy

An alternative solution is to buy a higher-impedance phone as the frequency response of a single-supply amp is dependent both on the size of the DC blocking caps and also the load they have to drive. Doesn't void the warranty. You can expect good results from a ~70-ohm phone.

Top Bottom