Red tinted black on 111fd kuro, complete step-by-step instructions on how to fix??

Texasjack

Ex Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has been covered to death but I am wondering if someone knows the step by step process to fix this from start to finish without me having to dig through tons of pages of threads. What equipment will I need? What is the process? I just picked up a 111fd for $100 and its great except at night I can notice the red tinted black issue on the top and bottom of the screen. I really like this setup and would like to repair it if possible. Thanks for any help.

Hi Texasjack
If you can get hold of a Logitech remote control doesn't have to be an expensive model try eBay or something and I'll dig up the exact thread I used to sort my screen out for you in the meantime..

Hi, i bought the cheapest model of the Logitech Harmony remote. I am not very technically inclined so if you could give me very detailed instructions I would greatly appreciate it, please don't feel pressured to do so though because I know it's time consuming. Do i hook the remote to my computer, contact Logitech and have them input the code while its hooked up and i am on the computer with them? The more details the better! Thanks for your help, i love this TV and really want to get it set up correctly.

Yeah no problems...
Yes 1st thing is register with Logitech the actual number on top of the right hand corner of the tv ie. Krp500 etc etc..
If you go to Google and type in
"How to remove the red tint on a pioneer kuro using a Logitech remote"
It will bring up a link to av forums
When you get that bit done and tell Logitech customer services to put the hex code in without spaces it'll take few days to get sorted..
Once it's all done I can pm you a bit more in depth step by set guide if you need help..

Yeah no problems...
Yes 1st thing is register with Logitech the actual number on top of the right hand corner of the tv ie. Krp500 etc etc..
If you go to Google and type in
"How to remove the red tint on a pioneer kuro using a Logitech remote"
It will bring up a link to av forums
When you get that bit done and tell Logitech customer services to put the hex code in without spaces it'll take few days to get sorted..
Once it's all done I can pm you a bit more in depth step by set guide if you need help..
Thank you. I will get started on this over the weekend when i have some time. It looks like the only place the red tinted black is a problem is on the top and bottom of the letterboxd screen. The blacks on the actual screen during a movie seem to be just fine and as they should be (no red tint). Does this sound right or are my eyes fooling me?

No that sounds like what I had on the front room kuro as I watched in a dimly lit room once you notice it you cannot unsee it and it'll drive you mad...
Some people do have it worse than others..
I picked up a second hand krp500 bout 3yrs go which had done approx 19000 hrs.. The screen in a dark scene had a complete purple hue to it ... all over... Once I tweaked it it looked like new and only when you looked closely and long enough you could tell difference between the bezel and letterbox bars.. not too far from an oled but not quite as clean

No that sounds like what I had on the front room kuro as I watched in a dimly lit room once you notice it you cannot unsee it and it'll drive you mad...
Some people do have it worse than others..
I picked up a second hand krp500 bout 3yrs go which had done approx 19000 hrs.. The screen in a dark scene had a complete purple hue to it ... all over... Once I tweaked it it looked like new and only when you looked closely and long enough you could tell difference between the bezel and letterbox bars.. not too far from an oled but not quite as clean
I found someone who claims they fixed the problem by only changing one value through the service menu. I can't recall specifically what it was but it sounded pretty simple. Essentially you lower something from 120 to 80 and reset the hour meter i believe. Does that sound right? Its strange becase the blacks in the movie look fine, however, the eye is drawn to the red tinted blacks at the top and bottom.

Yes once noticed you will always be drawn to it..
Basically yes it's yknosfa D lowered from 128 to about 90 depending on the hrs..
Resetting the hrs is not an easy feat and best stay away from that some members have had nightmares with the tv's afterwards..
What worked best for me was lowering yknosfa D to 90 got rid of the red tint.... 80 sometimes gave screen issues like black rain or green/pink pixels.. image retention Depending on how many hrs the set has done..
Then lowered RSTP a few notches which made the blacks slightly deeper and more solid...

Once the Logitech has been programmed gimme a msg and I'll get back with a more in depth detailed description what to do...
This is possibly the quickest easiest way and won't ruin the set...

Once the Logitech has been programmed gimme a msg and I'll get back with a more in depth detailed description what to do...
This is possibly the quickest easiest way and won't ruin the set...
I tried the fix and it didn't work for me. I just got a low hour 65" panasonic st30 for $300. Im very happy with it, the picture is every bit as good as my kuro and it's a huge improvement over the blacks. Thank you for the help.

Jeez...!!!???
That method has worked wonders for many on these forums including myself.. my dad has an st60 although very good could not compete with my kuro before or after the tweak..
Sorry that it didn't work was waiting to hear back so could guide you through menus.
If your happy with the new st that's great did you get rid of the kuro then..??

Jeez...!!!???
That method has worked wonders for many on these forums including myself.. my dad has an st60 although very good could not compete with my kuro before or after the tweak..
Sorry that it didn't work was waiting to hear back so could guide you through menus.
If your happy with the new st that's great did you get rid of the kuro then..??
I found the guide and tried most of what was suggested and it did help some but i think my kuro might have been to far gone to save. I think the kuro did have a slightly better picture but the panasonic is pretty impressive as well and im happy with it for the most part. I would take it over any lcd or led for sure. I also went from 50" to 65" so that is kind of nice. When i see another kuro for sale on craigslist i will buy it. People sell them around here for $150-200 and replace them with a crappy $400 lcd 4k set without ever knowing they got rid of the better TV! Thanks my friend.

No problem... size does make a difference.
Although I sold a 50 inch krp for a 60 inch krp.. not sure American equivalent model but they're the reference monitors.. the 60 inch was a wow factor but the 50 had better blacks although the 60 was brighter.. think if I had kept the 500 I may not of bought my oled but, then again I'm very happy with it as it's a better picture.. no problems.. if any change of mind on trying the tint elimination gimme a msg and I'll do best to help out..
All the best fella :smashin:

No problem... size does make a difference.
Although I sold a 50 inch krp for a 60 inch krp.. not sure American equivalent model but they're the reference monitors.. the 60 inch was a wow factor but the 50 had better blacks although the 60 was brighter.. think if I had kept the 500 I may not of bought my oled but, then again I'm very happy with it as it's a better picture.. no problems.. if any change of mind on trying the tint elimination gimme a msg and I'll do best to help out..
All the best fella :smashin:
Im considering getting a OLED as well. My reservation is that in my opinion many sets today look unnatural and over-processed. The way i describe it is they look like an HD version of real life with too much color saturation and overall unnatural look. Im sure this is partly do to the settings used in showrooms but the few i have seen at friends houses have that same feel to them. I do like the OLED technology though and assume most of this can be fixed through calibration. Are you happy with your OLED?

Yes I am... very.. I only use it for movies in 4khdr and full 1080p.. and being a horror fanatic with dark scenes and then in a dark room it's brilliant..
Think mentioned before it was the Panasonic one I have and out of the box all I did was put the film in cinema mode or pro 1 , 2 with max frame OFF .. get rid of that damn soap opera look.. raised brightness to stop black crush details.. pro 1 and 2 are a bit like the pure mode on the krp kuros where everything is nearly done.. they ssy alot of Pioneers guys went to Panasonic after the kuros ceased.. I did try the Sony and LG models too both very good but, the Panasonic was like a better pioneer, brighter, infinite blacks, more detail...motion seems ok too on blurays which i was worried about..and recently Netflix which is great too but prefer the hard copy... I think all the oleds can be done to look similar but the out of box settings on the Panasonic are really good still could get calibrated if want to.. alot of plasma owners went for the Panasonic models.. possibly as their plasma know how has been implemented to the screens..??. Panasonic very cinematic.. Sony sound with good processing, LG majorly future proofed..only problem don't think Panasonic oled are available in the U.S..??

Yes I am... very.. I only use it for movies in 4khdr and full 1080p.. and being a horror fanatic with dark scenes and then in a dark room it's brilliant..
Think mentioned before it was the Panasonic one I have and out of the box all I did was put the film in cinema mode or pro 1 , 2 with max frame OFF .. get rid of that damn soap opera look.. raised brightness to stop black crush details.. pro 1 and 2 are a bit like the pure mode on the krp kuros where everything is nearly done.. they ssy alot of Pioneers guys went to Panasonic after the kuros ceased.. I did try the Sony and LG models too both very good but, the Panasonic was like a better pioneer, brighter, infinite blacks, more detail...motion seems ok too on blurays which i was worried about..and recently Netflix which is great too but prefer the hard copy... I think all the oleds can be done to look similar but the out of box settings on the Panasonic are really good still could get calibrated if want to.. alot of plasma owners went for the Panasonic models.. possibly as their plasma know how has been implemented to the screens..??. Panasonic very cinematic.. Sony sound with good processing, LG majorly future proofed..only problem don't think Panasonic oled are available in the U.S..??
I just checked and it looks like they don't sell Panasonic OLED here. Thats strange. There is a Panasonic 55" vt60 with only 3000 hours for sale on cl near me for $300. I've heard these are the only plasma sets almost universally considered better than the pioneer kuro.might have to pick it up as i rarely see these for under $800. how is the motion accuracy on your OLED

That's a really great price... they still go for about 500 uk pounds here.. if it weren't for oled it's plasma for me all day long... you must have a big house for all these tv's lol..
I was going to get one of those a few yrs ago but when I said still had a kuro they said better off with the pioneer but the vt60 looked very good to me.. think they said that as they were all kuro owners in store... the zt65 was something I definatly interested in as not only was it brilliant picture but lovely design too... my oled is just like my plasma with motion it seems for movies.. don't use it for tv as my den is a separate out building in the garden.. still have my kuro in front room for everyday viewing and very rare film..shame as system is kind of wasted and think the kefs setup is better than my dali one in the den... for me the oled is better but it should be it's a yr old tv vs an 11yr one in the kuro...

That's a really great price... they still go for about 500 uk pounds here.. if it weren't for oled it's plasma for me all day long... you must have a big house for all these tv's lol..
I was going to get one of those a few yrs ago but when I said still had a kuro they said better off with the pioneer but the vt60 looked very good to me.. think they said that as they were all kuro owners in store... the zt65 was something I definatly interested in as not only was it brilliant picture but lovely design too... my oled is just like my plasma with motion it seems for movies.. don't use it for tv as my den is a separate out building in the garden.. still have my kuro in front room for everyday viewing and very rare film..shame as system is kind of wasted and think the kefs setup is better than my dali one in the den... for me the oled is better but it should be it's a yr old tv vs an 11yr one in the kuro...
I know many would disagree but i actuall like the styling and build quality of the 9th gen kuros more than some of the newer sets out today. They're just great sets and i already miss mine! I'm sure I will tinker with it some more and try to fix it again. I decided to pass on the vt60. Was going to get it for my gym but i already have a good set in there. I need to slow down!

I can understand that... it's quite classy looking in the piano black finish and still give a great picture.. reason why I'm keeping mine in front room as for general tv watching it's still great...
Sounds like you're stocking up on tv's if one of yours goes bang....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom