Red Steel - discussion thread & opinion poll

How do you rate Red Steel? (vote only after playing)

• Total voters

addyb

Distinguished Member
Come on people!

I cant be the only person who has bought this game.. can i! :D
Im just staring at the case and re reading the instructions. I need input on what peoples thoughts are on this game!

Annerz

Standard Member
I have it.
I've not played it much, but the first problem i have found is that when under heavy fire i sometimes find myself looking up at the ceiling and turning in circles. It's very hard to get out of. It good be me and my lack of prowess in this type of game, but i don't think so.
Also, my arm hurts from having to keep it steady for such a long time. Hopefully when my component cable arrives the graphics will be somewhat sharper.

Right guys, that's my girly review so far, how are you getting on?

Melkor

Played it for about 15 minutes when I picked up the Wii, havnt touched it since. The control system is majorly hard and the game doesnt really have any "feel" to it, the storyline from the start is pretty poor. Maybe when i'm finished with Zelda i'll pick it up again.

JonStatt

As I mentioned on the main Wii thread there is a known bug whereby the aim pointer suddenly reverts to the centre for a moment and then back to where you were, totally confusing your aim and perhaps missing shots. The cure is to turn the volume right down on the internal speaker of the Wiimote (hit the home button and change the options for the Wiimote). The speaker should make the sound of reloading the gun, but its not too much of a loss. Note, this problem seems to affect some more than others and it is not just at the moment when you are reloading.

Jonathan

addyb

Distinguished Member
mmm thanks for the info guys!

Well my expectations are even lower for this game now!
Still if it really is that bad i can always ebay it!

svidoy84

Standard Member
Turning it down definately helps because i could never get anywhere on the game!

Last night i thought i would give it a try and it worked! So much easier to control :)

addyb

Distinguished Member
So if the volume on the wiimote speaker is turned down do you not get any sound at all of the weapons reloading?
Do they not come out of your main speakers as well?

JonStatt

Addy, realised we haven't answered your question about the game properly.

First of all, I really like this title. The graphics are a bit low res yes, and the controls certainly take some effort to get used to. Sometimes the controls can also be frustrating. But it is highly immersive and a lot of fun. Most of the launch titles are mini games, showing off the consoles capabilities. These are great, but sometimes you just want to sit down on your own and play through missions. This game provides that, and the control factors mean it is really something new.

I do not regret getting this title at all. It has had me captured for hours already and I look forward to playing it again later tonight.

As for, the reload sound..it does indeed come out of the main speakers too, so this is really not a loss. Its a strange bug, but thanks to the person who accidentally found the fix, its not a reason not to buy the game.

Jonathan

addyb

Distinguished Member
Addy, realised we haven't answered your question about the game properly.

First of all, I really like this title. The graphics are a bit low res yes, and the controls certainly take some effort to get used to. Sometimes the controls can also be frustrating. But it is highly immersive and a lot of fun. Most of the launch titles are mini games, showing off the consoles capabilities. These are great, but sometimes you just want to sit down on your own and play through missions. This game provides that, and the control factors mean it is really something new.

I do not regret getting this title at all. It has had me captured for hours already and I look forward to playing it again later tonight.

As for, the reload sound..it does indeed come out of the main speakers too, so this is really not a loss. Its a strange bug, but thanks to the person who accidentally found the fix, its not a reason not to buy the game.

Jonathan

Thanks for the info mate!

My wii has just arrived so will be playing some red steel later!
I see what you mean though about the other games being more multi player and more mini game types. Im personally relishing the challenge of having tough controls etc. Bring it on!

svidoy84

Standard Member
Im really getting into this game now! Now the controls are under control it feels much more solid as a game. It can be improved dont get me wrong but at least it plays like it should now and im enjoying it! 2 days ago i was going to sell it!

addyb

Distinguished Member
Well just got my wii today and had an hour on red steel and i think its superb. I cant believe so many people complained about the controls. Within 5 mins i had them sorted and was getting headshots a plenty. I just love the way you reload with a flick of the nunchuk and the zooming in feature is excellent!
Ok graphically its not brilliant but im playing it on a crappy CRT at the moment so look forward to trying component out. Still the gfx are still good enough for a game like this!
I had really low low expectations after so many bad reviews but i gotta say i think Ngamer and official nintendo mag have done spot on reviews with there marks. Gamespot are so out with a 5.5 its untrue!
Hell even the swordplay was better than i thought. Sure it lacks some freedom but its still fun to parry and attack. Some people have mentioned the bug where your targeting can go weird and the fix is to turn down your wiimote volume. All i can say is ive not had this problem yet! Targeting, turning, strafing etc is all spot on for me!
Really really glad i bought this game now!

MonkeyKnuckle

Distinguished Member
I spent a good hour on this earlier, now I have the controls sorted I think it is pretty good. I'm still not very good at the sword fighting but practice makes perfect.:D

The Wiimote really helps immerse you into the gameplay, it's like holding a gun:D

JonStatt

The issue I have with the controls is that to turn your head, you have to move the gun sight to the side of the screen. It is quite hard sometimes to then pull out of the spin and get back on target to an enemy.

An alternative would have been to use the analog stick for the rotation...but that would have been at the expense of the strafing.

Jonathan

svidoy84

Standard Member
The issue I have with the controls is that to turn your head, you have to move the gun sight to the side of the screen. It is quite hard sometimes to then pull out of the spin and get back on target to an enemy.

An alternative would have been to use the analog stick for the rotation...but that would have been at the expense of the strafing.

Jonathan

i know what you mean about the rotation, i hate games that dont allow you to do it. But now im pretty good at controlling it.

try turning the sound of the remote when you play the game, the noices from the remote make it harder to control (or so it seems)

mrdixon

Banned
Sorry but this has to be one of the worst games I have ever played.

The whole concept of the wii is easy controls, if I wanted to learn button combos and spend weeks learning how to play I would use my PS3 and have amazing graphics. Being honest I picked up the controls after playing for about an hour or two but that is still too long! I find the sword fighting really good fun but the rest is too buggy to be good. It doesn’t feel natural to be skipping all over the screen.

Also, the graphics are shocking. I was never expecting anything special but what are those cut scenes about where a few still pictures slide across the screen? As far as im concerned the graphics should be acceptable over component or composite, however over composite the graphics are similar to playing N64 games on my LCD.

I was REALLY looking forward to this game and maybe that is my downfall, I think the concept is brilliant and I would love to see more games in this style involving guns and swords as they seem suited to the Wii perfectly. This game is buggy, has a steep learning curve and has pathetic graphics even for the limited abilities of the Wii.

This weekend I’ll be trading red steel and picking up something that is fun rather than difficult, I go to Nintendo for fun and not for these sorts of problems.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Sorry but this has to be one of the worst games I have ever played.

The whole concept of the wii is easy controls, if I wanted to learn button combos and spend weeks learning how to play I would use my PS3 and have amazing graphics. Being honest I picked up the controls after playing for about an hour or two but that is still too long! I find the sword fighting really good fun but the rest is too buggy to be good. It doesn’t feel natural to be skipping all over the screen.

Also, the graphics are shocking. I was never expecting anything special but what are those cut scenes about where a few still pictures slide across the screen? As far as im concerned the graphics should be acceptable over component or composite, however over composite the graphics are similar to playing N64 games on my LCD.

I was REALLY looking forward to this game and maybe that is my downfall, I think the concept is brilliant and I would love to see more games in this style involving guns and swords as they seem suited to the Wii perfectly. This game is buggy, has a steep learning curve and has pathetic graphics even for the limited abilities of the Wii.

This weekend I’ll be trading red steel and picking up something that is fun rather than difficult, I go to Nintendo for fun and not for these sorts of problems.

The only complaint i have with the game is that the gfx aint up to scratch!
I honestly cant see how people cant get to grips with the controls. Took me 5 mins and i can easily turn and shoot and pinpoint enemies with ease. My cursor has never behaved erratically and i just love the accuracy im getting with the aim now. Others have said its a nightmare when it comes to turning around but i found this spot on. Mmm not spotted any bugs whatsoever!
Sorry to say but apart from the gfx and some presentation, overall im very impressed with this!

Cowden_harley

cool just wanted to check. aint got my wii yet but really fancy this game.

addyb

Distinguished Member
cool just wanted to check. aint got my wii yet but really fancy this game.

I think this really is a love it or hate it kind of game! Im a massive fan of FPS games and can normally pick controls up dead easy! I guess i have a steady hand! Most people who hate it complain of the controls and the bugs in the game, but like i have said earlier i think the controls are spot on and i certainly aint been getting this erratic cursor bug that everyone bangs on about. It has always aimed where ive wanted it to!

KingOfGondor

i think the advert for this game is a little deceptive too, when shooting you really do need a steady arm and to make small precise movements, you can't go waving your arm about the room

addyb

Distinguished Member
i think the advert for this game is a little deceptive too, when shooting you really do need a steady arm and to make small precise movements, you can't go waving your arm about the room

I guess thats what i like about it! Im pleased after every kill i make and it makes a change from other FPS games where you can just pile in and wipe everything out no problem!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney picks up Sony's cinema releases post Netflix in US
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony unveils X-Series wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 21st April 2021