Red Screen?

D

ds77

Trying to find someone else who also has had this problem. Here is a run down of my problem. I cannot get rid of the red screen. I see a picture, its just all red. :)

dvd>tv using component cable=red screen
receiver>dvd>tv using component=red screen
dvd>tv using analog red/white/yellow= normal picture

also when I am hooked up using the two ways that give me a red screen.. THe Wega has 3 vid modes, if I am on any one of those modes and hit the channel up or down button it will bring me back to the boradcasting mode. If I do this it wil go from a red screen to normal picture broadcast mode.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

GOing to try s-video next. Not sure if its the cables or the dvd player outputs.

-ds

Are you 100% confident that you have correctly connected uo the component cables into the rear of your tv properly ? It almost sounds as though you have transposed two of the cables. Regards, yt.

I am pretty sure of it. As I have traced all the cables from one connection to the other and everything is correct. No twisting of the cables or anything like that. red to red, blue to blue, green to green.

When I hooked up teh dvd staight to the tv I still have the red, so it led me to believe its either the cable or the dvd player, When the dvd is hooke dup using the analog connection its fine.

so either bad cable or bad dvd player component connections I am thinking.

Hi, I think we need to 'break this down' a bit.

To get more input from other forum members you need to say which model of tv/dvd you have.

When you say 'when the dvd is hooked up using the analogue connection its fine' what kind of cable interconnection are you using ? I'm assuming you mean a lead with 3 RCA phono plugs at each end ?

I also assume when you say the screen is 'all red' when you hooked the 'dvd straight to the tv' you were maybe using a scart/scart lead ?

When you say the screen is 'all red' do you literally mean the complete screen is a uniform red with not hint of a picture or do you mean that you can see some sort of picture but it is basically very red with not much other colour. Regards, yt.

:lease:I have the same problem as the above person. I connect the DVD to the LCD TV using component cable and all I get is a red based picture. This happens on both of my new LCD TVs. TV1 is an LG, model 32LH50YD with a Toshiba SD2960 DVD player. TV2 is a Samsung model LA22B450C4D with a Palsonic model DVD2040 player. I have 4 sets of component cables (red blue green). I swapped cables and DVD players around, but nothing changes. If using composite cables (red white yellow) - the picture is great. I have asked ther shops that supplied the TVs, but all I got was a blank expression and the suggestion to use HDMI cabling!

:thumbsup: I solved the problem by buying 2 new LG DVD (model DV490H) players and connected them with HDMI cables (Philips). An instant improvement to the picture quality. I am thinking that the older type of DVD player is not compatible with new LCD technology. The new LG players are not expensive, $135 each, and the HDMI cables were $50 each. As HDMI carry audio and video, I have a tidy solution which was relatively cheap and very easy to implement.

I've been thinking about your problem. Glad you found a solution even if a bit radical.

I be surprised if trouble was anything to do with the DVD players incompatibilty with your LCD TVs. Two DVD players, 4 component cables and 2 TVs all showing the same red screen problem would require some big coincidences.

Assuming the component cables were all plugged into their correct red/green/blue RCA sockets both ends (honestly no offence intended: there's no chance you're colour-blind is there?). I can't think what the problem was.

The only time I've come across references to anything like this is when using a US Nintendo Wii or GC with a RGB SCART cable and UK/EU TV. An unmodded US Wii or GC will output S-Video when a RGB SCART cable is used and simply because of the pinout configuration. The S-Video luma signal is sent to the TV's red SCART pin input resulting in the red screen.

I can't see how that sort of mismatch could apply here. Unfortunately judging by the lack of helpful responses to the OP's enquiry 5 years ago nobody is likely to offer an explanation now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom