Red Screen of Death - what can I do about it?

Doomlord_uk

Prominent Member
My wife's Japanese 80GB PS3 is now giving us the Red Screen Of Death. This is apparently not that common, apparently and there are very few credible fixes online, beyond some expensive software from Australia... The two "fixes" I've found online that I've tried so far haven't worked: (1) try flashing the firmware from a USB drive - sees the drive, but never goes to any load menu or anything, and (2) re-seating the HDD. THere is a (3) but it involves buying a TI-84+ calculator and those things are not cheap... about £75 if I'm lucky... or a PSP which can't be any cheaper.

The PS3 is well out of warranty so what I'm wondering is whether there is a cheap way to get it serviced, or should we flog it for parts on eBay and get a new one? Supposedly - and there is not a concensus on this online that I have noticed - the RSOD is due to corrupted OS files on the HDD, so if I could put a new HDD in would it be possible to re-install/re-flash back to 'new'? (I realise I'll lose our data, but that's unavoidable now I think).

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
The red screen is a either a Cell SPU failure, or some think it's related to a corrupt NOR, but there's really no fix, other than to get Sony to replace the motherboard/replace the PS3 with a refurb, to be honest.

Doomlord_uk

Prominent Member
What's an NOR? Looks like we'll be parting this out on fleabay then, I guess. Oh well. My brother just gave me his Xbox 360 so that's something...

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Flash memory..like it's been corrupted, possibly.

Doomlord_uk

Prominent Member
oh, you mean a NOR gate?? just one gate in an entire IC can bring it all down? :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom