Question Red Motherboard CPU Light

forever

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
My sons Asus Z87-a motherboard came on with a redcpu light, took it to my local shop and they said the CPU must be gone, so i brought a new CPU from the forums put it in and the light is still red and will not even give a output to the screen...
Any thoughts??

thx

Hi.
Yes. I have had the same issue. Reseat your ram stick by stick. Your ram is not being recognised presently.

Hey - your pc should beep at the start-up (post) - if something goes wrong at the basic level - these beeps should indicate what's up:
See here:
post beeps

hope it helps
f.

ahh yes - sorry - on that MB you have the little display with two digits - that should flash codes and tell you what's wrong :) (at least in theory)

f.

Have you checked that each ram stick is working and if so, try in different A1 in B2 or something.
If it is hanging on code like @Ftorek mentions, google it.

I have also come across when the CPU was not reseated properly too esp on the AMD when they one of the pins was broken. Check the mobo cpu seat with a bright light to see if pins are ok but I would do the ram first.

ahh yes - sorry - on that MB you have the little display with two digits - that should flash codes and tell you what's wrong :) (at least in theory)

f.
Umm dont see any LED display either, very strange it just broke unless my son was trying to overclock or something

Well... it will be tricky to pinpoint the issue then - normally i'd re-seat everything - check for pins on cpu etc. check all connectors (power to mb, cpu etc...), try booting up with different memory sticks in different slots etc. - and it that doesn't yield any results - you'd need to test components separately - that's tricky if you don't have a bit of bunch spares lying around...

happened to me when building pcs before that on the first start it wouldn't boot - and usually it's a build mistake - all parts are good but not enough power to mb or something....

but then again - it's usually new parts...

good luck anyhow!

thanks for all the advice, reading the manual, there are led's for ram, cpu etc.. So Ram is all good, but the red cpu light is always on, i am thinking he may have played with the cpu and perhaps does something to the pins on the motherboard, so a new board may be needed? So if i need source a second hand one do i go for the same make and model?

New mobo required which I have done myself with the same fault you had some years ago.
Asus offers a lot on the mobo side but fragile mostly.
Get a MSI one.....I advise.

Thanks which MSI would you recommend? Ebay job i guess

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks again i take it my cpu and ram are compatible?

Hi Forever - this MSI actually wont work - it's different socket
I'd buy exact replacement if u can find it.
If no - it needs to be LGA1150 socket and i'd look for Z87 chipset
Look here - that's the spec for your one:
Z87-A | Motherboards | ASUS USA

Important things to look at are socket, chipset and memory....

Cheers
f.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom