Red Light Camera Ticket

AMCross

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
received a notice of intended prosecution 3 months after the event

I was under the impression that they had upto 14 days

If thats the case has anyone else had this issue and how did you go about putting your point across that the poilce have failed to serve you within 14 days :lesson:

thanks

looks like they have changed the rules to bring in more money for the muppets in charge of this country

No rules have changed.

If you are the registered keeper and have not only recently registered the car and the V5 logbook carries your correct address, they have 14 days from date of offence to serve you with the NIP.

Often NIPs go to lease companies, company car owners etc first. Then the 14 day rule doesn't apply.

lease car i'm afraid:thumbsdow

the first NIP in the chain still has to arrive within 14 day deadline. Check out the Flintoff case that just made the press - original/first NIP arrived on day 16 so when this was pointed out no evidence could be offered.

I'm afraid that the NIP ruling only applies if you are being summonsed to court.

If you are offered a fixed penalty ticket then there's no time limit. If you refuse the ticket you can then be served the NIP within 14 days.

It took North Wales Police 6 months to send me a ticket but after having a real good look in to it, I had to pay (and take the points).

Ha! Efficient as ever.What possible excuse could they give for taking 6 months,and did you post date the cheque for 6 months?

Ha! Efficient as ever.What possible excuse could they give for taking 6 months,and did you post date the cheque for 6 months?

Sadly not, I coughed up like a good citizen.:rolleyes:

I couldn't believe it when it turned up and I saw the date of the offence.

I'm afraid that the NIP ruling only applies if you are being summonsed to court.

If you are offered a fixed penalty ticket then there's no time limit. If you refuse the ticket you can then be served the NIP within 14 days.

It took North Wales Police 6 months to send me a ticket but after having a real good look in to it, I had to pay (and take the points).

OP didn't mention a FPN...

OP comment ????

Like everyone has stated the written NIP has to be served on the registered keeper of the vehicle within 14 days. It may take longer than this to reach the "named driver" if the registered keeper is for example a lease company.

The offence of contravening a red traffic light requires a NIP to be served with at the road side (verbal NIP when reported for the offence) or via written NIP.

Dave W - to clarify your points:
1) You are mistaken in thinking that it only applies if summonsed to court. The police still need to serve it if they issue a ticket at the road side.
2) If you are given a FPN there is a time limit of 28 days to pay or nominate for a court trial. If you nominate to go to court, there is a 6 month time limit for the information to be laid before a magistrate
3) If you refuse the ticket, you simply get a summons to attend court (you can't then be served a NIP as this should have already been served)

The original OP doesn't mention being stopped by police and being issued a ticket so I can assume they may have gone through a red light camera.

Hope this helps :smashin:

Geege:hiya:

the nip was done by post 30 days after the event

but i never got it

67 days later a recorded delivery letter appeared

the 14 day notice for nip onlys applies for private cars

not company or lease cars

running red light is bloody dangerous :mad:

but i do not run red lights if its red i stop period

it must have triggered after i passed behaps on amber awaiting the plods next step as my wife has asked for a piccy

the nip was done by post 30 days after the event

the 14 day notice for nip only applies for private cars

not company or lease cars

No no and No. it applies to the first NIP in the chain in all circumstances.
If is it a company car and the first NIP to the lease company is served outside the 14 days it is a dead duck - provided you can back that up.
It is not the date of postage that counts but the date served.

so ok

lease company get letter from police about car

lease company get info about who leases the car

my company tell them its my car

BUT the NIP needs to be within 14 days

BUT how can i get the info from lease company about when the nip was received

I dont suppose they will be honest and tell me exactly when it was recieved but i will try to find out tommorrow

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom