Red 'interactive' spot to contend with now - what the fudge will they add to the screen next

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Joe Pineapples, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +865
    I was setting up the video tonight, to record the new Startrek - Enterprise' series on skyone (as i do with anything decent - to watch later & visual-search the adverts). 'The Simpsons' was still on, and i noticed the red 'interactive' indicator button in the top-right corner of the screen. I pressed the 'backup' button to get rid of it, only to find out that it would appear again as 'Enterprise' started up. Pressing 'backup' would remove it again - until after each advert.

So in other words, if you want to do some unattended recording off skyone, you're going to record the red indicator, as well as the logo, from now on.

I contacted skydigital, who's best answer from a dim-witted call-handler called Stephanie, was that in her opinion, the red indicator would/should not be a distraction. She even laughed when i told her that it WAS a distraction to me. Now thats what i call customer service! - NOT!!

If anyone knows a way that the [ever-so-unhelpful] Stephanie does not, to remove the offending red indicator for the duration of a programme (unattended), can you please tell me how?

*update* just noticed this same question asked by 'dodgey' - sorry for the repeat - guess i was just eager for a solution

cheers

Dean

2. xyznicko2577

xyznicko2577

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting I was just thinking "I wonder what the legal position is regarding these icons" , Sky are using my digibox to generate these icons on my TV picture without asking my prior permission to do so, I wonder what my rights are? after all the equipment does belong to me and they are using it for selling purposes rather than it's prime purpose which is to provide a TV service.

Shouldn't I have a little box to tick to give permission or a switch to turn the selling off if I don't want it?

Any comments?

3. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hello Dean
    Not sure if it's posted elsewhere on here but if you press the Red button directly by the Backup button you'll loose the red dot for the duration of the programme.
    Cheers, Paul.

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watching the news on BBC when they showed a clip of the trouble at Leeds v Cardiff game on sunday, even the video SKY gave to the BBC had the bloody interactive indicator on it.

Lets see if Sky listen to the BBC when they start complaining about red indicators on the video that they have payed for as a programme and not a news clip.

Couldn't see much of the picture, to many overlays, who was commentating, who was playing , the time, pictures from SKY and
    that RED thing.

As for the new series Enterprise i decided to watch it on digital cable not Sky, only have to put up with the channel logo on there.

5. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +865
    thanks Paul - yeah, i got it from a solution by Starburst (in 'dodgey' thread).

Dean

6. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    I hope you guys have joined www.logofreetv.org.uk ?

I really hope we can get something done about this. My view is that the ITC should regulate the use of on screen icons. I have a bit of a running battle with them at the moment - they say that it doesn't fall within their charter, and I say it does. (Their charter clearly allows them to regulate advertising, and my view is that these logos are branding.... which is advertising.) Anyway, if it doesn't, it should.

If the ITC don't regulate it, it would be quite possible to have ALL channels showing 100 logos on screen at ALL times with only a 2 cm x 2cm picture in the middle, and that would be fine? The ITC *MUST* do something about it, or its going to get worse and worse and worse.

I have also written to my MP, and I await his reply.

Please sign up, if you haven't already.

Chip.

7. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    We're told that in future Broadcast TV and the Internet will increasingly converge.

This really worries me when I see the way in which interactive buttons and way-too-many graphics/logos are already being peppered all over our TV screens.

I don't want any TV programmes looking like a busy web page and already find Sky News and BBC News24 unwatchable.

Here's hoping there are enough people who feel the same way.

John

8. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    John, I *completely* agree.

You only have to look at some of the "travel" channels for a vision of the (near) future....

Nearly half-screen, bright yellow, scrolling advert banners permanently on screen. Its *completely* unwatchable.

Right now, the content seems to from the program itself, but I am waiting for the first transgression away from this.....

A logo saying "Visit Craven Motors for all you VW motoring needs" or something like that on Men and Motors, for example? I can't wait :-(

ITC, get off your *arses*!!!!

Chip.

PS I made up the name, Craven motors. I hope there isn't a Craven motors!