Red Hot Chili Peppers: By the way

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Ian Cox, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a listen to the new album and it is very very good. Some great new tracks and a bit of a change from the usual Chili's stuff. Not so much of their unique rapping style funk songs but more "singing and melodies" to put it crudely. "By the way" is probably the only song that is old style Chili's. The Chili's definitely seem to be maturing in their old age, which is probably not a bad thing as this style of music suits them now.

Also went and watched them at London Docklands arena a couple of weeks ago and they were brilliant, they are still one of the best live bands around.

2. Cyber Spawn

Cyber Spawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on track 5 now, its really good. I worthwile purchase to anyone who likes the peppers.

Go order go order!

3. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Sorry to say guy's, but I hated it.
    The worst RHCP album there has been.

Doesn't have the same energy as their past works and just sounds like so many albums doing the rounds the last few years.

I've tried listening to the album a few times, but it ain't gettin' any better. Very poor show from the lads this time out.

4. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    I can't say its their best album, still very good though. Definitley a few tracks written with Hillel Slovak in mind.

Definitely a departure from their usual style but I dont think thats a bad thing - they've been getting gradually more melodic since Freaky Styley which was more funk like than anything else they've done (mind you with George Clinton producing it it was destined to be a tad funky).

Blood, sugar, sex, magic still reigns supreme.

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered the CD yesterday. I used to be a big fan of the Chilis back in the Fight Like A Brave/Backwoods days but kind of lost touch with them when the almost self-parody stuff like 'Give It Away' came out.

'By The Way' (the single) is just so catchy I thought I get hold of the CD... especially at £7.99 from CD-Wow. Can't go wrong really seeing as the single alone would probably cost £2.99 from my friendly high street retailers...

Just waiting for CD-Wow to stock the new Danzig album now and I'll be transported right back to my youth :D

6. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Danzig now theres a blast from the past. Also do you remember Gwar, there used to wear those big head masks and p**s on the audience now that was real rock and roll;). There were so many good bands out around that time, Slayer, Metalica, Faith No More and the likes

You will not be dissapointed with the new Chili's album, it is a bit more like there really early stuff before they got really popular with Under the Bridge and the likes but a bit more mellow. My favourite album of the year so far.

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gwar, yes, definitely. When cable TV (long before satellite in this country) first came out in my area they used to have a show called 'Monsters of Rock' on Music Box and they showed Gwar live videos ad nauseum, literally in some cases.

Anyone remember Green Jelly? They were like a sanitised Gwar and had a top ten hit with that 'Little pig, little pig, let me in' song. Hilarious.

What's even funnier is that 10 years later Slipknot are doing it all over again, pretty much.

I think I'll like the new Chili's CD, I prefer the slower stuff of their latter output. As with Danzig actually, the slower tunes are often the best.

Anyone surfing and looking for a good, solid rock album ought to consider Danzig III: How The Gods Kill. Everyone that ever even thought they had a passing interest in rock music should hear 'Dirty Black Summer' at LOUD levels, even if just once.

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Listened to my RHCP today and loved it. Not as good as Californication but still excellent nonetheless. I'm with Juboy in that I think they're at their best with more mellow tunes. :)

9. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    this is ther best album to date,
    been trying to get into them for years,much prefer their mellower style.all the tracks are really catchy,fav tracks upto now are,universally speaking,dosed and how good is venice queen,

great tunes

cant get it out of my player.loving it:cool:

carl

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the CD turned up and have been listening to it all day.

Weirdly, my Danzig reference has more relevance than I thought... 'Don't Forget Me' could actually be old Glenn and the boys!

Other than that, 'Universally Speaking' and 'The Zephyr Song' are excellent amogst an album of class tracks.

Really glad I bought it. BTW, the CD-Wow (Asian?) version has a B&W copied insert where you have the chance to win flights and tickets to see RHCP in the Olympic Stadium, Seoul.

Unfortunately it's open to Manilla residents only :D

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from cd-wow, but it was the Hong Kong release and had no copied insert :rolleyes: Maybe because I pre-ordered it...

12. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even more odd was the fact that the CD booklet insert was actually the wrong way round, even though it was fully shrink-wrapped and, unless someone had been very careful with the disc, hadn't been played before.

There was also another insert, a 'handwritten' explanation (plea?) from some guy out of Linkin Park as to why I should go out and buy there re-mix album which, like all the other re-mix albums out there, is apparently not like all the other re-mix albums out there...

There was more junk mail in my CD than through my letterbox this morning :D

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Weird! No junk in mine :D

I got the latest Goo Goo Dolls CD from cd-wow around the same time as I got RHCP and had a similar thing. The back insert (the one under the CD holder tray) was upside down and yet the CD was sealed, as you say! Never had that before. Oh well, not a big deal :)

14. Dave N

Dave N
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of curiosity I asked my Spanish mate to translate the word Cabron which I'd seen interpreted as "bast**d. However, he explained that it has no literal translation but is a term used to describe a guy whose wife is having an affair with another man. Quite why you'd want to abuse such an unfortunate fellow is not clear but there you go....

Its definitely a "grower" - was disappointed on first listen thru but each subsequent listen improves (espesh if you drop the duff tracks like I'll Die For You and concentrate on the gems - Dosed - woah - brings tears to yr eyes!)

D

15. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    It's no really my cup of tea but I got it because I like the song thats being played on the radio, it was pleasantly suprising, It is quite relaxing, and makes a nice change from raw hip hop.