red/grn/blu flickering pixels

zerolight

Just got my plasma 42pa20b. so I'm a newbie. i notice that on blacks, if I go up close to the tv to examine the picture, the screen shimmers with lots of tiny green, black, and blue pixels. from a distance its not noticeable, though I do notice a slight shimmer to the picture compared to a regular CRT. is this normal?

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
It occurs because Plasma 'cells' (pixels) cannot be illuminated very slightly (dimly) as would be necessary to produce a very tiny amount of a given colour. So they have to illuminate them by a greater amount. However, to keep the colour rendition right, they flash them on and off.

zerolight

ah. thanks guys. phew.

rolandrat

If you increase or decrease the brightness you will notice the quantity changes, just like chap above says perfectly normal.
You must realise that a plasma is meant to be watched from a distance not close up, as it will always look pants close up.
Relax and enjoy the future.

Blackthorm

Novice Member
Is there a "minimum" distance? I had heard about twice the screen width as a suggestion.
I was thinking of getting a 42" and will be viewing from about 8 feet.

_Sin

I think your best bet is to visit a shop and have a look. I doubt this particular "issue" will be a problem though - the dithering really is only very noticeable when you're within a couple of feet of the screen. There may well be other things you notice from 8 feet away which are worse, but you should judge for yourself.

FWIW I sit pretty close to mine - maybe 3-4 meters away. I have a 50" screen, and I find it just fine at this distance. Whats the point of buying a big screen and then sitting so far away it looks like a portable :)

Of course if someone wants to buy me a nice big house I'm sure I'll learn to live with sitting further away...

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom