Red fury usb ASIC miner

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by offitmassive, Feb 3, 2014.

1. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Right I've seen a few usb ASIC miners that mine at around 2gh/s , I'm not keen on my brand new 280x grunting for 21 hours a day and warming the house up as I do so at 300w . Are these usb miners worth a dabble? Like I have a 4 port usb switch .... Not saying id buy four but if I did that's a fair old pick axe I'm using. Anybody have experience with usb miners??

2. cokker

cokker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    If your mining Bitcoin (SHA-256) then yes it would be better than a 280x, you cannot use these to mine cryptocurrency like Litecoin as these are Scrypt based.

As a rough estimate, if you were to buy one of these you would earn around £4? (not sure as he mentions making money back in 9 months) a year with it running 24/7.

Source (Dec 2013)

If your mining on a very tight budget getting into brand new currency's before they get popular is the best way to secure some coins quickly, unfortunately this is can be unreliable and time consuming (you may have to wait years before a coin becomes worth something).

I'm currently learning about cryptocurrency's so forgive me if I've made a mistake anywhere :facepalm:

3. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Yeh ive just realised they won't work on scrypt based mining... Imagine if they could!!! I'm at a loss as somehow all the dogecoins I mined went missing, it shows the transaction on my dashboard to my wallet but wallet shows no transaction , like I've never made a transfer and I'm a bit annoyed at that.

Thinking about another coin to mine but a crystal ball would be nice to see which one!! Dogecoin difficulty has risen to 1400 from around 600 when I first started it so seems pointless trying it again.