red flickering dots on screen from HTPC

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by brettule, Feb 26, 2014.

1. brettule

brettule
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my HTPC running for several years, the motherboard is an Asus M3A78-EM which has an Integrated ATI Radeon HD 3200 GPU. My old telly only had a VGA input so I used VGA to deliver 720p resolution which worked fine. I just bought a new Samsung f6400 telly which doesn't have VGA but it does have HDMI. I plugged a DVI cable from the HTPC to the HDMI/DVI port on the telly using a DVI to HDMI cable, I didn't touch anything else on the OS. The new telly showed the picture fine and the resolution and colours are fine.

The issue I'm having is at some moments during a movie being played (doesn't matter if it's a x264 or Xvid encode) I see red flickering dots in the picture. I recorded what's happening, take a look. If I take the window out of full screen and drag it around the red flickering dots move with the window.

I updated to the latest ATI drivers, no change. I put the same file on a USB stick and plugged it directly into the TV and played the same scene, no flickering dots. It only happens when I'm playing off my HTPC. Any ideas on what is causing it? Something to do with the DVI/HMDI signal?

2. kneelbeforesod

kneelbeforesod
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been using my Samsung TV as a monitor for a while now, and I sometimes get something similar. It even powers itself off temporarily sometimes, with a loud pop through the internal speakers.

I have found some mentions of both a build-up of static and of failed capacitors on the web, but nothing conclusive. My TV is about 4 years old, so it's a shame, but I've had a fair run with it, if it is on the way out. I'll be interested to see how this thread progresses though...

3. brettule

brettule
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was faulty cable of some sort. Changed the HDMI cable and it works fine now.