Red Dwarf

J

Jay2000

Hi

Does anyone know if the DVD release of Red Dwarf series 1 (due 4/11/02) will be presented in the original transmission format or the 'remastered' version that was shown some years ago and subsequently released on VHS? Personally I preferred the original version as the remastered copy looked 'weird', for want of a better description (pretentious grainy effects etc).

Ta

Jay

Although the master tapes have been cleaned up for the dvd, it will be in the original format, which I agree is preferable to the later 'remastered format'.

have you any idea of the details of the release? How many discs, aspect ration, sound......

ad

The full specs are listed in the press release which is posted on the Dwarf website www.reddwarf.co.uk .

Just checked to make sure the link was correct and they've got the box on show. It looks pretty snazzy!

Despite my aversion to fullscreen material, im very tempted! The details definantely make it sound like a good buy and the price is good too! :D

ad

Originally posted by buns
Despite my aversion to fullscreen material, im very tempted! The details definantely make it sound like a good buy and the price is good too! :D
Well you'll never get it in widescreen will you, seeing as it was filmed in full frame 1.33:1 ......

Originally posted by Squirrel God
Well you'll never get it in widescreen will you, seeing as it was filmed in full frame 1.33:1 ......

I wasnt ecpecting to! :p simply stating a point! I dont know the details of DD encoding, but is it theoretically possible to get something like this encoded for digital?

ad

I wasnt ecpecting to! :p simply stating a point! I dont know the details of DD encoding, but is it theoretically possible to get something like this encoded for digital?
It will have to be DD if it's coming out on DVD as it's a requirement of the standard itself. Not necessarily 5.1, but it will be DD - that's for sure.

Originally posted by Squirrel God
It will have to be DD if it's coming out on DVD as it's a requirement of the standard itself. Not necessarily 5.1, but it will be DD - that's for sure.

sorry, badly stated post, i knew it is DD 2.0, but is it possible for such a soundtrack to be made to 5.1? If so, why is this not just done as a matter of course?

ad

sorry, badly stated post, i knew it is DD 2.0, but is it possible for such a soundtrack to be made to 5.1? If so, why is this not just done as a matter of course?
Yes, it is possible. It's done frequently with movies. It's just a case of mixing it to 5.1 channels. Check some old movies that you own - they would have been released in the cinema in 2.0 or DD Surround, then mixed to 5.1 on DVD.

Why it's not done all the time as a matter of course is simply due to dosh. It costs money.

The 5.1 mix of Withnail and I was a bad one and they decided to spend the dosh on that rather than an anamorphic transfer. I would've preferred the anamorphic transfer :(

I didnt think it cost that much........ah well. If it is possible, i think that it should be done. Who is charging the extra? Dolby? Do they mnot get enough already? Charge a little more, im sure few people would argue about a 10p hike on a disc, i cant imagine it coming to much more than this.

ad

I didnt think it cost that much........ah well. If it is possible, i think that it should be done. Who is charging the extra? Dolby? Do they mnot get enough already? Charge a little more, im sure few people would argue about a 10p hike on a disc, i cant imagine it coming to much more than this.
The people who do the mixing have to be paid, and the equipment used has to be appropriated to a cost centre or the operation outsourced. People don't work for free mate and it's not a 5 minute jobbie!

Squirrel, just checked out your dvd collection and i'm sorry but..... The Complete FLUMPS???!!! I hope to christ thats for your kids! :D

There's nothing wrong with the flumps. Or bagpuss for that matter. Or Jamie and the magic torch . . all of which I have of DVD!!!

SHould this be on another thread???

Originally posted by Jay2000
Squirrel, just checked out your dvd collection and i'm sorry but..... The Complete FLUMPS???!!! I hope to christ thats for your kids! :D
I don't have any kids. I bought it for me to remind me of my childhood. :blush: Great stuff actually! One of the best kids programmes every made IMO :D I still have a soft spot for Pootle :blush: Was only £4.99 in a HMV sale too :cool:

Originally posted by minimad
Or bagpuss for that matter

Bagpuss is generally accepted to be of the barrymore persuasion. Not normally a thing most self respecting guys watch! :p :D

But to the questions i have been posing. I know it takes time and money. But, say it costs £10,000 to do (is it this much or little?), sell 10,000 copies and price hike by £1. I'd not argue.

ad

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with Bagpuss (going rapidly off-topic I know). One of the greatest television series of all time, regardless of age group.

Originally posted by h0l1yw0od
they've got the box on show. It looks pretty snazzy!

Wherabouts on the site is it - I can't find it. :confused:

Originally posted by t-force
There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with Bagpuss (going rapidly off-topic I know). One of the greatest television series of all time, regardless of age group.

I didnt mean offence by that! Bagpuss is amusing, but it can be linked to other things! But im not going there!

ad

Originally posted by Lex
Wherabouts on the site is it - I can't find it. :confused:

If you click on the really obvious 'DVD DETAILS' logo in the top right corner ;) then pick it from the list on the left. It was straight on the main screen when I originally posted. Gonna get a 12 page trivia booklet too, Oooooooooooooo!:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom