Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Red Dragon (DVD)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Lex, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ---

Red Dragon (DVD): DavisDVD reports that Universal's Hannibal prequel will come in both a single disc "Collector's Edition" and a two-disc "Director's Edition" when it hits home DVD in a few months. The two-disc set will feature a 16x9 transfer, audio commentary by director Brett Ratner and writer Ted Tally; The criminal profile of Hannibal Lecter; renowned profiler John Douglas' theories on how Hannibal Lecter and real serial killer are profiled; The life history of Hannibal Lecter from childhood to present day; Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter; Deleted scenes; DVD-ROM; and more. Disc 2 - Director Brett Ratner's video diary; A rare look at the film production; Brett Ratner's untitled first film from NYU Film School; Screen and film tests; The dragon tattoo; Storyboard to final feature comparisons.

---

Never got around to seeing this at the cinema - was it any good? Hanibal was a real disappointment, but this one sounded lik it would be better?

2. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    the films not bad but is a remake of the superior manhunter.good acting but most of the dialogue has been copied from manhunter.still better than hannibal though!!!!!

3. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looking forward to this, hannibal was dire, it was just to over the top, those pigs!!!!! that brain eating thing!!!!gary oldham!!!!no thanks!

4. shauny1

shauny1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    manhunter was a lot better better atmosphere and better background music:eek: :eek: :eek:

5. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Red Dragon was good but flawed - the main problem I had was the lack of menace portrayed by Ralf Fiennes. He was a hunk with a minor hair lip, whereas Tom Noonan in Manhunter scared you ****less.
    Hey c'mon - I know there is a language filter on the forum but **** is hardly profane.:rolleyes:

6. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    manhunter is an absolute classic, one of the best films of the 80s!

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,463
    I much prefered Manhunter and I also prefer Brian Cox as Hanibal . I thought the last film Hanibal was pointless - just gore for the sake of it and such a feeble plot

8. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    IMHO manhunter beats all of the lecter films,ok some things have dated badly on manhunter but its a hell of a lot better than hannibal.silence of the lambs is probably closest to manhunter id say and then red dragon so in order of greatness lmao

1 manhunter
    2silence of the lambs
    3red dragon
    4hannibal

also is it just me or is anthony hopkins quite camp in hannibal it might be me but he comes over more graham norton than **** your pants scary serial killer lol.i also think ralph fiennes was a terrible choice for his role and was as scary forest gump especially compared to tom noonan.hopkins was back to his best in red dragon though :D

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What I really don't like about Manhunter is the god-awful 1980s soundtrack. It really is horrible and it dates the film badly.

10. tawT std

tawT std

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would have been better in DTS

11. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think the musc dates it in anyway, it's a stylish 80s film and there aren't many of those about. It's a product of its time but doesn't suffer because of it. Just be thankful there's no leg warmers or puff ball skirts in there!:D

12. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don't forget the stonewash jeans and rolled up jacket sleeves. :eek: :D

I really disagree about the music though - I have to turn it down during certain scenes as it is just too awful. Especially during the final few minutes. Personally I think it was a poor choice of music to begin with, and the fact that it had dated so much just makes it worse.
    I saw 'The Keep' the other day (another Michael Mann 80s film) and it too had pretty terrible music - this time by *gulp* Tangerine Dream! :eek: :(

13. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bet you'd love watching Miami Vice now then!;) :D

14. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don Johnson and his sockless feet - gottal love it!

15. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you read the novel of Hannibal - I'm almost ashamed to say that I did - it reads like a screenplay for the film.

A bit of a cop out really by Harris - it seems that it really was written with the film in mind - not as a book, and suffers in both forms because of it. The other fims, and books, were better because they were written to be read first and were then adapted for cinema in the screenwriting process.

Having said that, the book Hannibal is still way better than the film!

Thought 'Red Dragon' was quite good, but agree with everyone else - 'Manhunter' is better, despite the dodgy soundtrack!

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,463
    Agreed - the book Hannibal was one of the worse written I've ever come across. The previous 2 were proper books.