1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red dots all over my Samsung LE26R41BDX - Help!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Jan20, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Jan20

Jan20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Please help!!

I bought this TV last month from homecinematv.co.uk and i love it. However, on Sunday I was watching a film on Sky and noticed loads of red dots on the picture, just flashing all over the screen. Turned it on yesterday and watched a dvd - no problems until 1/2 hour then the dots all over the place. What could it be? and have I got a bad TV? Will I be able to send it back?
    I am extremely concerned and any help on what these dots could be woud be very welcomed.

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Send it back.

3. Jan20

Jan20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I phoned them this morning, they said they would ring to arrange collection and swappoing within an hour. Still haven't called me back.
    What exactly is wrong with it. Engineer guy said he'd never heard anything like it.

4. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I missed this thread when I posted mine about my TV's faulty processing and it sounds like the same kind of problem. My TV is going back the day after tomorrow, which I'm thankful for because the problem had gone from being intermittent to being permanent for the last two days - patches of blue pixels all over the screen and weird contrasts on faces especially when they are dark.

But guess what? I was watching the second part of Messiah 4 earlier on and was playing around with the picture settings, which had all the processing options off except for the Brightness Sensor, and I switched on Dynamic Contrast and then DNR and the fault disappeared straight away!!! The TV has been working fine all night and I've even managed to watch Jurassic Park III on DVD with no problems (using HDMI). Obviously there's a problem there in the first place so the TV is still going back but it'd be Sod's Law that the engineer will discover the TV is working fine when he looks at it!!! :rolleyes:

I'm quietly hoping it goes wrong again before I pack it away tomorrow night...

Anyway if anyone is having this same issue - and two other people including Jan20 appear to be - try turning on Dynamic Contrast and then DNR to see if it eliminates the fault. I've found that once it's gone, I can turn off Dynamic Contrast as it was before and it's still OK... for now...

5. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Ah... I turned the TV on this morning and the fault was back but this time turning on Dynamic Contrast and DNR only got rid of it for a few seconds before it came back. At least, I'm comforted by the fact the TV is going back showing the fault so the engineer can see it...

6. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
  7. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    It's a bit difficult to tell from that image whether it's the same problem and also it's running in Windows Media Player on a PC so it could be something different. It doesn't look like the same problem as mine anyway.

On my TV, when the fault is at it's worst, the contrasts on peoples faces look unnaturally oversaturated and there's are flickering yellow pixels between the tones. The rest of the picture generally looks okay bar flickering blue pixels on light backgrounds and yellow pixels in dark brown areas of the background like wood panels, etc. You can still see some of the faults from 10 feet away especially on the faces but it's less obvious in the backgrounds. I generally watch the TV from about four or five foot away so I can see the fault straight away.

Unfortunately I don't own a digital camera so I can't take a screenshot of it.