Red dots all over my DLP screen….

U

udderjuice

So I just got a 46” Samsung DLP (HL-S4666W) last night, set it up and the thing hadn’t been on for 30 minutes when suddenly these red dots appeared all over the screen in dark areas of the image. If an area of the image is light and then suddenly goes dark, it leaves behind hundreds of the dots which slowly go away but many dots still remain in the dark areas, they never go away completely.

They are absolutely horrible and it makes the TV unwatchable. This is a replacement TV for my 32” LCD which had a bad LCD panel that was slowly going dark. I had to wait 2 months for Samsung to get this thing shipped to me and now I have a brand new crap TV.

I’m just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and if they know what is causing it and what needs to be replaced to fix it. I haven’t called Samsung yet as I wanted to get as much info as I can first.

Thanks.

It could possibly be that the brightness is set too high so you're seeing mirror activity in areas that should be black(see the calibration sticky at the top of this forum). The red dots may be the mirrors and the colour balance is biased towards red when 'projecting black' or near black, so that needs to be addressed too.

Of course I could be totaly wrong as it's hard to diagnose some things without actually seeing it, and it could be a fault with the set.

Does it do it on all inputs and all sources (it's not a faulty digital lead maybe)?

Gary

Yes it happens on all inputs and no it's not the brightness cause I set the picture setting back to their factory defaults and it still does it.

If I turn the TV off for a long time and turn it back on it will be normal but then like clockwork about 15 minutes after powering it up the red dots appear. They dance around like fireflies and if there is an area of the image that was light and then turns dark it leaves hundreds of those tiny red dots dancing around. It's definitely a digital error in the picture.

The repair center said there are only two parts besides the lamp that can be replaced in this model TV. They are ordering the parts and should be able to fix the set in my home next week. Still this whole thing has left a really bad taste in my mouth as far as Samsung goes. At least they stand by their warranty.

Factory brightness and contrast defaults are unlikely to be accurate for your sources, and that's why you need a test disk to do it correctly. It does sound like a fault though, so hopefully the repairs will sort it for you.

Gary

Try posting in the rear projection tv's forum !!
Many more members on there with this set !! This forum is DLP & LCD Projectors not DLP TV's :smashin:

sikenny said:
Try posting in the rear projection tv's forum !!
Many more members on there with this set !! This forum is DLP & LCD Projectors not DLP TV's :smashin:

Uhhhh, I thought there was only one kind of DLP...

This is the front projectors forum :)

Moved to Rear Projection TV forum :)

udderjuice said:
So I just got a 46” Samsung DLP (HL-S4666W)
That looks like a US model number, so you might want to try posting on a US-based forum as well. To me it sounds like a fault, so I'd reject the TV and ask for a replacement.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom