RED DOT !!! Post your rants and thoughts here. No other red dot threads, PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used any of these devices which claim to remove the red dot and if so do they work.

I think that building a new room and installing full home cinema equipment is an expensive way to remove a red dot! What does he do - cover up the red projection lens?

A sticky label on the corner of the TV screen works for me. ;)

Webmaster of www.LOGOFREETV.org.uk writing:

Frustrated by Channel 4 Corporation's latest RED DOT irritation and a total lack of response to our case documents from everyone, I am trying yet another new approach.

The Computer Misuse Act 1990 states:

[QUOTE 1.—(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—
(a) he causes a computer to perform any function with intent to secure access to any program or data held in any computer;
(b) the access he intends to secure is unauthorised; and
(c) he knows at the time when he causes the computer to perform the function that that is the case.
(2) The intent a person has to have to commit an offence under this section need not be directed at—
(a) any particular program or data;
(b) a program or data of any particular kind; or
(c) a program or data held in any particular computer.
(3) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or to both.[/QUOTE]

I am taking the view that my Sky Digital Set Top Box is a "computer" in exactly the same sense that my PC is a computer and my web server is a computer.

It is no more relevant that BSKYB wrote the STB's operating system, than Microsoft wrote most desktop computer's OS, or that Unix powers a server. As the system owner, I have the right to declare access to my computer systems off-limits to unauthorised access.

I have given C4 written notice under the 1990 Computer Misuse Act that it is "forbidden" access to my STB Computer system.

Consequently, as C4 continues to access my STB by running it's RED DOT software on my system violating my access denied notice, C4 is in breach of this law. Theoretically, it's CEO could be imprisoned for this!

I am now taking legal advice and I am hoping that The Computer Misuse Act will force C4 to withdraw from it's unauthorised access of my STB. (I have no concern about any other computer system other than my own.)

If the weight of law can be used against TV licence holders, then I can not see how they will be able to carry on "spamming" people with Interactive Services without delivering an "OPT OUT" to consumers.

A lot of people disagree with my approach and ridicule the idea. I don't care; If I "fall over", I just get up and try again!
http://forum.logofreetv.org.uk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=469

Short of organising a protest outside Horseferry Road, London, this is the only way forward.

At the top of www.LOGOFREETV.org.uk there is a link which logged on members can use to generate an instant "Computer Misuse Act RED DOT prohibitted notice to C4".

I suggest all viewers pieved with logos, RED DOTs, on-screen garbage, complain early, complain regularly, complain often. Formatting tools are available on my web site.

Good luck to all of us.

It's just got worse, now Sky 1 not only have a red dot and the SKY ONE logo, they now have a logo advertising the Michael Jackson program at 9 on Monday!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Regards

LOGOFREE, I wish you the best of luck as i suspect you'll need it.Keep us updated on developments.

omfg. that logo was pissing me off earlier but when they stuck it on over enterprise as well I got really annoyed.

sent an email of complaint to the itc and sky. not often I do something like that.

I have also sent an email complaining about the jacko logo during enterprise. almost phoned them and cancelled my subscription but could'nt face sitting on the phone for hours. BLOODY annoyed!!!!:mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Alan Westy
Has anyone used any of these devices which claim to remove the red dot and if so do they work.

I use the SkyEye T-Vo ( http://freespace.virgin.net/itv.regions ) and have been using it for about three weeks now. It sends the backup key every minute or so, but knows when I'm using the EPG and doesn't send the backup key. It looks pretty cool too :cool:

A couple of people on the TiVo Community Forum said they had odd problems with it, but I think it turned out to be their Digibox that needed a power on reset which solved the problem. General opinion is that the product is very good and worth the money.

Got a reply from the ITC about the "Jacko" thing today, shame I got rid of my scanner or I'd show you. It's a bit too long to type in :)

The ITC does require that "promotions outside advertising time should provide information of value to viewers and should avoid creating significant viewer anoyance" but because Sky have made it clear that this is an exceptional case no action will be taken on this occasion. A letter has been written to Sky to tell them any future examples of this sort of thing will be looked at by the ITC very closely.

To be honest I'm fairly happy with that, the response I got from Sky was laughable. Still no response to my reply that clearly stated that I refuse to pay for spoiled programmes and if they do it again I'll cancel yet :)

Originally posted by Rochdale

The ITC does require that "promotions outside advertising time should provide information of value to viewers and should avoid creating significant viewer anoyance"

Does that mean it might not be acceptable for advertising on the end credits of films and tv programmes. I only ask because I can't stand it when a film ends, I'm listening to the music and someone starts telling me what is on next when I can find this out myself by pressing the select button.

I wonder if anyone has complained about Livingtv and their latest ploy of having writing on the lefthand side of the screen (as well as their logo opposite) advertising upcoming programmes? It's bloody insane to expect viewers to not get frustrated over such tactics. The other point is that, typically, they advertise what is written for during the ad breaks anyway, so what's the point of destoying currrent viewing?
It amazes that this channel gets what must be it's highest pullers, i.e. Charmed series 4, and then does that to them.
Bunch of muppets.
And I've noted that some channels, i.e beeb3, now require the red button then backup trick to get rid of the red dot and not just the backup press otherwise the dot comes back after a couple of minutes. Prior it wasn't necessary but I've recently put in the new Sky card, so maybe that's a new 'feature'. Grrr.

The most anoying was the recent Simpsons 300 Episode. We had red dot top right, Sky logo top left, and an animated award logo bottom right. This is really getting on my T*ts now. The animated logos are the worst as they draw your attention

Any program I like I download from the internet where there is no logo on there.

Has anyone found out if the broadcasters are responsible if you get screen burn?

Yeah, this seems rediculous, but I find it more and more attractive to download some of my favorite shows rather than watch them on TV for free. Specifically, I haven't watched an episode of South Park on Sky since I got ADSL, mostly thanks to onscreen graphics and the Red Dot.

Luckily, all the new Simpsons episodes suck, so I don't have to watch Sky at all these days. :)

If 10% of the pixels on your TV went dead, you'd take the TV back for repair/replacement. I don't know why broadcasters think they can hijack 10% (or more) of our screens without it bothering us. I know it's only a matter of time before this little animated logos start making sounds to further draw your attention away from the programme you are watching.

Originally posted by Azrikam

Luckily, all the new Simpsons episodes suck, so I don't have to watch Sky at all these days. :)

They've got much better this season (esp compared to 13 :rolleyes: how awful was that!) Try and start watching again you won't feel that it's gone to pieces that way :hiya:

After being annoyed by the red dot on C4 and not being able to lose it as per the old method, it got me onto logical deduction. In that the onscreen stuff, i.e. menu, list etc., can only do/show one thing at a time. So I thought of selecting subtitles for shows which had none. Big Brother for example has none and thus it replaced the red dot with the little subs box for a couple of seconds then cleared the screen; thus fooling the Pace box into not reshowing the red dot as its onscreen display slot was being addressed for non-existent subs. Hooray. Hopefully this should help others.

I'm used to the annoying red dot firing up on my Sky system, but at least I know I can get rid of it by pressing the "Back Up" button every time it appears (although I have noticed that they do re-transmit this 'display red dot' code several times throughout a program - obviously just to irritate the hell out of me).

Please please please can someone tell me that Telewest has a "back up" type button to get rid of this eyesore?????

Cheers!

I think sky is great ..... EXCEPT for the 'king red dot that apperas at will and gets right up my nose.

Do they really need to have it there, shining brightly and burning holes in Plasma's that cost a packet.

Surely someone at sky with a brain can come up with something a little less obvious ...... who is up for a petition ?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I would imagine that the easiest petition is the one whereby the service becomes redundant i.e. - If they put a red dot on your screen, then never EVER EVER press it. Don't use interactive features etc.

Only if everyone (or at least the mass majority) did this, would they stand up and listen, and sadley Cable have adopted this too.

At least FreeView doesn't have interactive, so theres still one option of digital without these aweful additions to your screen.

I can understand the reason for TV Logos. From a company point of view, its free advertising if you lend the video to a friend. There is no other reason for it.

But the red dot. Just infuriating. Why not put it on the intro before the program starts (like you see the "CC" or "Subtitles 888" for about 5 seconds). Stick a red dot on there and your sorted.

Phew! Thats my rant added. I'm sure that it will make no difference whatsoever to the situation!

thanks for listening!

Paul.

If there were as many complaints about a tv programme as there are about the red dot, not only would the programme have been withdrawn but the station would be closed down too! I cannot understand what the red dot sadists are hoping to achieve by their arrogance. Next thing, there will be a list on the side of the picture telling us which button to press in order to change channel!

I've heard TV industry insiders who fully believe (and probably rightly so) that ad breaks will be gone in the future, replaced by 100% onscreen advertising.

Personally, the most annoying thing about the whole onscreen clutter issue is/are the people who think we are completely obsessive to be complaining about something so insignificant as a tiny red dot. These are the people who will be first in line for cybernetic implants so that advertisers can launch subliminal ads into your sleep. :zonked:

Where does it stop?

-What are you complaining about? The red dot only takes up 3% of your screen! Stop your whinging.
-What are you complaining about? The interactive red dot and animated "what's next" logo only take up 6% of your screen! Stop your whinging.
-What are you complaining about? The scrolling advert banner only takes up 20% of your screen! Stop your whinging!
-What are you complaining about? The scrolling advert banner only takes up 20% of your screen. The 50-50 ads are only on for half the programme, and the voiceover ads are carefully placed so that they rarely, if ever overlap important dialogue. Jeez, stop your whinging and get a life! They're not forcing you to buy the product!

Ok, rant over. Back to watching the clock. :)

Originally posted by Azrikam
-What are you complaining about? The scrolling advert banner only takes up 20% of your screen! Stop your whinging!

did anyone see the scrolling banner when this years Big Brother first started (not that I watch it!!) ? It DID take up 20% of the screen!!!

Lukily they shrunk it. Probably because, coupled with the red dot, and E4 logo, there was only a small portion of the screen left for picture. Result - 5 viewers watched, until is was reduced when the normal viewing figures reached there peak- about 10 :D )

I'm sure they only changed it after tons of complaints. Right now, people will complain about losing 20% of their screen. It 2 years.... probably not.

It's like that old thing about boiling a live frog. As long as the temperature increase is gradual enough, he'll stay put... and so will the sheep.

Have I missed it but has no one mentioned the repapering Red Dot as the use the other night on Channel 4. Switch it off 20 seconds latter it is back on. QVC have one very similar up in the left hand corner.

I believe this happened a while back, and when people complained, the broadcasters said that it was a technical glitch. (yeah, pull the other one :rolleyes: )

I'm guessing that this will be common practice very soon.Considering how far people are willing to go to get rid of the red dot (buying a dot-killer utility, etc), don't expect the broadcasters to own up to the fact that they think nothing of inconveniencing their customers in the hopes of making a few more £s a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom