RED DOT !!! Post your rants and thoughts here. No other red dot threads, PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you press the "red button" then "back up" it will remove the red dot for the entire time you are watching that channel, otherwise they have a nasty habbit of reappearing after the adverts ;)

Originally posted by Ian J
£49 is a bit much. I have "backup" programmed into one of the hard buttons on my Pronto

I have it programmed into our lass.... "Get rid of it"! :mad:
Not the same I know but it still works :D

Originally posted by breezer
Looks like its £30 from here

Breezer your link doesn't work, too many http's, try this instead. :)

I am a definite red-dot hater, the simpsons especially winds me up.

The most annoying thing about the red dot business is how frustratingly easy the code would be for them to add a menu option to disable it.

I don't think any one else has mentioned it in this thread yet, but I read about this device over at digitalspy : http://freespace.virgin.net/itv.regions/skyeye.htm. Its basically a unit which send a backup press to the box every minute or so. Not the most elegant of solutions but better than the nothing we seem to be get from sky to solve it.

Ian,

Have done as you suggested.....and it worked - thanks very much ;)

Anyone got a tv for sale ? <grin>

I haven't bothered to get a dot-killer yet, because I don't watch much SkyOne in the first place. The fact that people are paying this much money just to get rid of the dot would be enough to make any company that gives two sh*ts about their customers anxious to make this optional. But, we are dealing with Sky here... so expect to see it forever. :)

Originally posted by MarkHudds
Oops! Just noticed the dedicated 'RED DOT RANT' thread over on the 'Digital TV' forum ... :blush:
And on that note i'll merge the threads :)

Originally posted by Ian J
Try drilling a hole through the screen just at the point where the dot is.

I don't ever see the dot. Why? I only have a 4:3 telly :( , so it is out of shot at all times.

Originally posted by Nobber22
I don't ever see the dot. Why? I only have a 4:3 telly :( , so it is out of shot at all times.

LOL:)

That's a good un! If only it were true!

Dave

I remember reading something about removing the red dot before, something about adding channels, but I didnt have $ky at the time and didnt pay attention. I'll do a bit of research.

Hi All,

I could be wrong about this but were Sky not due to bring out new veiwing cards in Q4 2002?

I'm sure I even read about it in the Sky Mag the other month, before it went in the bin after a 30 second flick through ;)

This link would seem to suggest that I'm correct about this.

I'm yet to recieve one though, has anyone else got one ?

Is it possible that :confused:

"..........government and consumer pressure for improved parental controls has increased in recent months, spurred by the ongoing introduction to the SkyDigital platform of new betting and gambling-focused channels and interactive services. Subscribers have also been complaining about the relative ease of access to "pay-per-play" games, the addictive nature of which has led to unmanageably high telephone bills for some. "

Is causing the delay in the cards release, but we are due to get some more control of the epg and red dot?

FishCake

We can only hope.

I didn't even open this month's Sky mag. Would Sky stop sending me this trash if I called them? I'm no environmentalist, but it's like Sky is saying, "here, you throw this away. We're busy."

Originally posted by SteveCac
I remember reading something about removing the red dot before, something about adding channels, but I didnt have $ky at the time and didnt pay attention. I'll do a bit of research.

If you put in the channels into 'add channels' rather than using the ones in the epg you don't get the red dot I think

This was suggested as a way of removing the red dot however you can not 'with ease' record from 'other channels' so any recordings have the red dot

Yeah, that doesn't help much at all, because the time when the Red Dot is at its most annoying is unattended recordings.

On the viewing cards front, I've heard (still speculation) that some of the new cards were shipped out in November, but caused no end of problems. So, Sky have pushed back the new cards until the software works with them. (novel idea!) Rumours are that they will start shipping them again in February.

Yup, that was it Ridcully. As I said, I didnt have sky at the time and didnt pay much attention to the in's and out's.

Have you noticed that when they are showing clips of sport on the news they sill have the red dot on, you would think they would record it without it.

See, even they won't plunk down £10 a month for Sky+. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

HI,

My name's Pooch, and I am a Moderator in the DVD Talk part of the AVForums.

Anyway, I hate the red dot thing, just as many of you all do. If you ever want to do unattended recordings, on channels liek Sky 1, that use Red Dot icons, you can reprogramme your Sky STB so that some channels appear in your "Other Channels" list.

All you need to do, is get the frequency details, which can normally be obtained from somewhere like:

Link Here

Programme them in, save them, and then if you now need to watch or tape something, and don't want to have to worry about the whole Red Dot thing, then just select the channel from the "Other Channels" list, rather than the normal EPG.

This is what I do, especially for Channel 4, Sky 1, and E4.

Hope that helps!

Pooch

Pooh,

Totally agree but unless I have missed something you can not use the personal planner to record from 'other channels'. Also VCRs that control the digibox (panny 710 etc) can not do it either. So the only way to record is to leave the digibox on the channel and only set the times on the vcr. Suggests to me that if you want to record two different channels whilst out you can't get the second recording from the 'other channel' list.

I was sent the attached file by a contact.It's claimed to remove the red spot.I'm posting for information only.

Attachments

• red spot.zip
    87.6 KB · Views: 127
How ironic is this.... wondering what is going on the world I head to sky news.... press the red button and nothing... hmm its not even displaying the press red button text, change channel foward and back a few times and it still isn't there !!!

I feel like Basil Fawlty with his fire extinguisher ... "It sits there for months on end and the one time you need it !..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom