RED DOT !!! Post your rants and thoughts here. No other red dot threads, PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by nigelcraft, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nigelcraft

nigelcraft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for some reason this week while watching enterprise on sky one,the red dot in the right hand corner stayed away completely for the whole program,but returned on the program after, was it my lucky day this week or did they forget to put it up,or maybe they are starting to listen????

2. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sky are able to turn the red dot on and off to suit themselves. It is always on during The Simpsons but is off usually before that. it's probably switched on for all their top shows. Why it was switched off during Enterprise is open to debate.

Incidentally, there was a new episode of The Simpsons aired on Sunday at 6.30 pm. On the 6pm episode, which has been shown on several occasions before, the sky|one logo had "All New" beneath it, but not during the new episode(?).

Maybe they have a lot of staff off at the minute and the cleaners are operating the equipment.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,514
    It wasn’t on The Simpsons before Enterprise this week.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

4. nigelcraft

nigelcraft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fingers crossed for buffy and angel tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In case anyone doesn't already know, you can turn off the Red Dot by pressing the Backup button on the remote. I think it reappears in the adverts, but can be turned off again when the show restarts.

I'me getting this info second-had from a friend. I'm on cable so no Red Dot for me :p

6. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Press "Red" immediately followed by backup and this turns off the red dot completely until you change channels.

7. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    ... sometimes.

Only this doesn't always work. I demonstrated this new trick to my missus the other day, only to find it had no effect :-(

Chip.

8. nigelcraft

nigelcraft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it did come on in buffy and angel,but not for the next program
    sob

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just remember

No red dot on Digital Terrestrial!

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    No red dot on cable or ITV D eh?

That's good apart from the reasons, one platform can't get the interactive stuff to work correctly and the other hasn't got the capacity:)

11. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The red dot on DTT is a big reg oblong with "Press Red" in it! Thankfully it only appears for a few seconds and then goes away. If only Sky did the same!

DaveP

12. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I recorded Oddyssey 5 last night on sky+ & there's no red dot. This is the first sky one show i've recorded so I'm not sure if sky + just doesn't show it - I spose it makes sense to not have the interactive stuff available for recorded progs.

Anyone else noticed this or is it just a coincidence? What about live pause?

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    The interactive elements of a program are not recorded by SKY+ so the flag sent to the digibox to display the red dot is not there either. Not sure about Live Pause, don't recall ever trying it with a red dot program.

14. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Live pause also gets rid of the red dot, you may find you catch up quite quickly tho, especially if you skip adverts!

DaveP

15. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AHA! Finally, we get the truth! Sky is flaunting the Red Dot to annoy their subscribers into upgrading to Sky+ so they can tape shows unattended. I knew there had to be some conspiracy at the bottom of this.

16. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Resistance is futile! Buy Sky+

DaveP

PS: You wont be sorry!

17. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hate... red... dot...

Must... buy... Sky+......

18. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This could be very good news for Sky subscribers. (poached from a post on Digitalspy.co.uk)

Could this be the end of the Red Dot????? I'll believe it when I see it.

19. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Newbie ignorance alert!

This red dot.... Could it cause screen/tube burn on a RPTV or CRT Projector? I am about to get my first digibox but haven't signed up yet.

Also..

If I programmed my Pronto to, for example "Change Channel > Red > Backup" would this automatically turn off the dot or would these key presses turn it back on if it were already off?

Mark.

20. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you believe the manuals, then persistent onscreen graphics (especially bright colors) will cause permanent burn in on any screens. However, projection TVs are much more susceptible to this than CRT ones.

Personally, if I had a projection TV, I wouldn't go anywhere near any of the Red Dot channels for just that reason.

I've never used Pronto, but...
    Change Channel > Backup
    will get rid of the dot, but it'll return after ad breaks. (possibly before, depending on the channel)

I haven't had any luck getting rid of the dot by hitting the red button, then back immediately after. If you can adjust the timing of the keypresses on Pronto, then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to sort it, but it would probably take a little trial and error to get it right.

21. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I have one of the two hard buttons on my Pronto as "kill red dot"

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Sounds to me like us cable users are lucky we don't have interactive. Does it have any redeeming features? do you guys who have it ever use it?

23. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only interactive features I've ever used on Sky was the BBC's coverage of the winter olympics. You could pick from a couple of feeds to watch the event you were more interested in. IMO, good use of the interactive feature.

Everything else seems to be adverts for premium phone line contests and SMS crapola.

Even the Big Brother's use of multiple feeds was completely useless. It took too long to load, the sound on the second feed was often missing, and you couldn't view them fullscreen. (why bother?) Plus, the producers of the show couldn't handle a single 15-minute delayed feed without showing you hours of the chicken coop, so what chance did they have handling additinal feeds? IMO, the worst produced show in recent memory. (but I digress :) )

Some channels allow you to use the Red button to find out what's coming on next. Course, I can do this much easier with my Sky remote, so it's just another example of pointless new features that are added "just because."

I can see the use of them for these interactive game channels. (Avago, for example) But, since I'm not a hardcore gambling addict, I don't waste my time (and money) on these things.

24. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You and me both on all counts then, let's hope NTL can't get it together for a nice long time!

25. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The BBC seem to use interactive features well. Their interactive football, Wimbldon, Walking With Beasts etc are great.
    I like interactive features when they are combined with programming, or used for features like Sky News Active, and none of those features use the red dot - it seems the bloody red dot is only there for crappy ****ing ****ty shopping and competition rubbish! :mad: :rolleyes:

26. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly. That's why they need the Red Dot. It's not something people would intentionally use, but after flashing a shining red light in their face for a couple of weeks, people will get curious as to what it's all about.

Pathetic.

I don't watch any football, and I missed Walking with Beasts when it aired. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

27. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    WWB available on DVD now I believe....

28. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What no Raves yet about channel 4?????

Come on lets hear them!

DaveP

29. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, well done channel4! I am sure all your viewers are delighted at the arrival of the red dot. :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes:

30. the-one

the-one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad: :mad:
    as you lot say this red dot buiss is so annoying and yes channel 4 have now got one,
    my text on my back up button will soon wear out when the rest of the buttons will be fine will sky give me a refund if i tell them what happened to my back up button,
    and just think we may hate the red dot but sky are charging us an arm and a leg to watch it lol.

come on sky let us turn it off if we dont watch it cause i bet you dont have it left on your screens at home.

dot mania has entered the uk and soon to be added to all channels GIVE THEM TIME!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.