Red Dead Redemption 2

I still haven't revisited it...got sidetracked by AC Odyssey which I love. I'll get back to RDR2 one day!

I still haven't revisited it...got sidetracked by AC Odyssey which I love. I'll get back to RDR2 one day!
I need to play AC Odyssey at some point, it’s sat on my Xbox but haven’t played it yet. Currently absorbed by Borderlands 3 though.

Gone back to playing this for the past couple of evenings after a 5month break. Damn this is a good looking game! I'm working my way through the tasks and I'm up to Herbalist 9, Pick one of every plant in the game, all 43 of them, I'm up to 24 so far but like when playing the story, I keep getting distracted by stuff!

Well here we are a year later, damn where have the last 12 months gone.

I'm just jumping back in as we have a lovely sunny, long bank holiday weekend.
However, I started Red Dead Online a while back but never finished the intro as it was long winded and I didn't like how my character turned out.
Only problem is, there doesn't seem to be a way of deleting your character.
I've searched online and it keeps popping up that you can, but the Online menu that keeps getting mentioned is locked in my game and I can't access anything.

Does this mean I have to finish the intro, which in turn means waiting around for matchmaking, and then I can get access to the Online menu to delete my character?

Edit: Never mind.
I went looking in other menu options and found where exactly to delete your character.
Ya know, in the menu option called "Character".

Right, now I'm content with that, I'm actually getting back to the story and starting a new save.
Enjoy your beautiful, sunny, four day bank holiday weekend!

Last edited:
I'm just jumping back in as we have a lovely sunny, long bank holiday weekend.
However, I started Red Dead Online a while back but never finished the intro as it was long winded and I didn't like how my character turned out.
Only problem is, there doesn't seem to be a way of deleting your character.
I've searched online and it keeps popping up that you can, but the Online menu that keeps getting mentioned is locked in my game and I can't access anything.

Does this mean I have to finish the intro, which in turn means waiting around for matchmaking, and then I can get access to the Online menu to delete my character?

Edit: Never mind.
I went looking in other menu options and found where exactly to delete your character.
Ya know, in the menu option called "Character".

Right, now I'm content with that, I'm actually getting back to the story and starting a new save.
Enjoy your beautiful, sunny, four day bank holiday weekend!

Tempted to do another story save myself and concentrate on the side missions and strangers that I missed on first play through.

It's definitely worth going through again.
I'm at the first camp after the prolog and have done a few missions there.
I've been roaming and looking for side activities, so I'm definitely not rushing through.

It's definitely worth going through again.
I'm at the first camp after the prolog and have done a few missions there.
I've been roaming and looking for side activities, so I'm definitely not rushing through.

I did actually start a new save late last year but got busy with other thing's, so may just start from scratch again.
Do you use the default settings with regards to movement/shooting controls?

Yeah, I haven’t changed any of the controls other than invert Y.

I did read last year sometime that the game got a graphical downgrade.
Can’t say that I’ve noticed anything, but then again I haven’t played it since launch.

Yeah, I haven’t changed any of the controls other than invert Y.

I did read last year sometime that the game got a graphical downgrade.
Can’t say that I’ve noticed anything, but then again I haven’t played it since launch.

I have everything on default apart from on foot assist, Im trying that with free aim and assist strength turned all the way down, unsure if assist strength effects free aim as when I select free aim the assist strength is still changeable.

Getting to grips with the hunting, just unsure where to sell my perfect pelts?

Should I donate these to Pearson at camp or sell to a tracker.

I understand that the tracker is mainly for crafting cosmetic clothing and pearson for items and cosmetic stuff around camp.

I guess it doesn't really matter.

I’ve just done a side mission which I never realised, being something of a throw away moment, actually sets up Arthur’s fate.

I'd read about it after I finished the story the first time, but honestly couldn’t remember what mission/scene was referred to.
Being such a minor thing in a rather throw away moment shows some really good writing.

I’ve just done a side mission which I never realised, being something of a throw away moment, actually sets up Arthur’s fate.

I'd read about it after I finished the story the first time, but honestly couldn’t remember what mission/scene was referred to.
Being such a minor thing in a rather throw away moment shows some really good writing.

What was the side mission?

I know that main mission (Thomas Downes) seals Arthur's fate, apparently you can skip that mission but it doesn't make any difference to the outcome.

What was the side mission?

I know that main mission (Thomas Downes) seals Arthur's fate, apparently you can skip that mission but it doesn't make any difference to the outcome.

That’s the one.
If you notice, Arthur starts coughing after the encounter, and it’s even mentioned by Strauss at the camp, at which point Arthur says the guy was sick, almost dead.
It’s so small, but it’s what causes Arthur to get sick later in the game.
I didn’t realise it could be skipped as there’s nothing else to do at that point until you complete Strauss’ missions.

That’s the one.
If you notice, Arthur starts coughing after the encounter, and it’s even mentioned by Strauss at the camp, at which point Arthur says the guy was sick, almost dead.
It’s so small, but it’s what causes Arthur to get sick later in the game.
I didn’t realise it could be skipped as there’s nothing else to do at that point until you complete Strauss’ missions.

Apparently you can, some body in the below link skipped it and posted a video on page 2 of the link. At end of video Strauss talks to Arthur about it.

That must be some kind of glitch, because I’ve just finished that mission thread and...
the dialog between Mrs. Downes, her son and Arthur definitely allude to Arthur’s fate.
It’s definitely tied in to the end of the story.

Did anyone manage to get HDR looking decent in this? It's always looked washed out for me.

However, I've just done something by accident that appears to have improved things.

Load the game up with HDR enabled on your Xbox. With the game still running, go into your Xbox settings and then turn HDR off. Return to the game and it should look completely different. At least, it does for me. HDR game is still activated in my TV settings (game hdr on XF9005) despite me just turning off HDR in my Xbox settings.

I thought R* released a patch ages ago to correct the HDR implementation?

I thought R* released a patch ages ago to correct the HDR implementation?

It's never worked for me.

It also only works when I do the above in my previous post as well as setting my TV HDR mode options to HDR10 rather than Auto.

Auto:

View attachment 1287460

HDR10:

View attachment 1287461

Apologies for the blurred photos. The HDR looks better than the photo shows especially at night with lamp, lights and fires.

I may well start a new save. :)

edit//
Please don't tell me that's a fake HDR TV setting and nothing to do with the game. Oh dear, it is isn't it? :facepalm:

Last edited:
It's never worked for me.

It also only works when I do the above in my previous post as well as setting my TV HDR mode options to HDR10 rather than Auto.

Auto:

View attachment 1287460

HDR10:

View attachment 1287461

Apologies for the blurred photos. The HDR looks better than the photo shows especially at night with lamp, lights and fires.

I may well start a new save. :)

edit//
Please don't tell me that's a fake HDR TV setting and nothing to do with the game. Oh dear, it is isn't it? :facepalm:
Hey Fozzy I don't want to rain on your parade but I think the Auto setting looks better! Or maybe its your photos? Second picture looks like Dynamic (Vivid) mode? Sorry - I cant check on mine because I haven't got this game.

@BearFozzy , do have a HDR game mode on your TV?

Anyway on RDR 2 video settings you have the options of cinematic or game mode, the latter is more vibrant and brings out highlights, flames, lights for example stand out more, bit like your 2nd pic but not so much.

Cinematic is a lot more dull like your 1st pic.

Your 2nd pic looks to vibrant though.

I think you should try game mode from within the RDR2 video settings, and than have a look at your TVs HDR mode settings try adjusting things.

Hey Fozzy I don't want to rain on your parade but I think the Auto setting looks better! Or maybe its your photos? Second picture looks like Dynamic (Vivid) mode? Sorry - I cant check on mine because I haven't got this game.

It looked better when actually playing it. Things looked almost 3d.

Anyway, I haven't a clue why it changed the picture considering I'd disabled HDR on my Xbox. It's not an actual picture setting like vivid, cinema, game etc. I presumed it wouldn't do anything if I'd disabled HDR.

@BearFozzy , do have a HDR game mode on your TV?

Anyway on RDR 2 video settings you have the options of cinematic or game mode, the latter is more vibrant and brings out highlights, flames, lights for example stand out more, bit like your 2nd pic but not so much.

Cinematic is a lot more dull like your 1st pic.

Your 2nd pic looks to vibrant though.

I think you should try game mode from within the RDR2 video settings, and than have a look at your TVs HDR mode settings try adjusting things.

I just thought I'd found a glitch/bug in the xbox settings. I could never get the RDR2 HDR picture looking decent and had always been playing it in SDR.

Anyway, my TV developed a fault shortly after this and I had to return it. Looking forward to starting a new save when I decide to get a replacement. I now realise I'll have to select 'game' rather than 'cinematic' in the RDR2 menu settings.

This is meant to be in game pass today. I never got round to buying it as much as in wanted to, so I'm pleased it's coming to game pass, but it ain't showing yet. When do games normally go live on game pass?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom