1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red/Blue discoloration on 32PD30...

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Lestat, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Lestat

Lestat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed on my new 32PD30 that on white/bright/light scenes i can see red/blue discoloration all around the center of the image reaching out to the sides. Only the very middle is unaffected.

The effect is not noticeable in darker scenes or scenes without bright colors. This is not a defect i've seen mentioned in the PD30 complaints thread, and it doesn't sound like the "dirty marks" problem. The same issue was on my old 28" 4:3 Nokia, but to a much lesser extent. Also, the Nokia cost 1/5th of this TV, so the fault was easier forgiven. ;)

The effect is faint at first, but the longer the screen stays bright, the more pronounced it becomes - it becomes severe enough that my GF notices it, which says a lot! :p

Does anyone have a cause and possible cure, or should i send for a replacement?

L.

2. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    First thing I noticed about the PD30 was that it is extremely magnetically sensitive. I also had a similar minor issue with my old telly, but when I plugged the PD30 in, half of the screen was red/blue.

This is usually caused by magnetic interference from unsheilded speakers. The funny thing is, I moved my speakers out of the way, and nothing happened. But when I moved the TV a foot to the right, and kept the speakers where they were, the discolouration went. Weird. It just didn't like being in the place the old TV was - even with the speakers out of the room. Must have been something else causing the interference.

Anyway, try moving your speakers, or failing that, your TV, to a different position to see if this goes.

Cheers

Simon

3. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It could be. My "dirty marks" (and the others I've seen on 2 offered replacements!) are not pure grey - rather they're a bit pinkish. They do form (part of) a circle around the centre of the screen and, AFAIK, are caused by imperfect setup of the tube yoke in the factory, causing the beam(s) to miss their target slightly in the affected parts of the screen.

Blue discolouration in the sets I've seen tends to occur at the far corners of the screen, and is, IMHO, caused by a similar problem. In a computer monitor this would be called a "corner purity" problem - and in a more expensive monitor (eg. > £500) there would probably be an adjustment for each individual corner!

On a PD30 it's possible to move the blue discoloration from one corner to another, or turn it yellow, by fiddling with the sub-geomagnetic correction value in the service menu. I haven't been able to eliminate it though - and this has no effect on the "dirty screen" problem.

Interesting. This would indicate a problem known as "doming" - where the shadow-mask heats up and distorts in bright areas of the screen. Many new TV/Monitors have an Invar shadow-mask to try to prevent this - but I don't know if the PD30 does.

I have to say I haven't noticed that the "dirty mark" on my screen gets worse with exposure - but I'll try pausing my favourite "snow scenes" test DVD this evening to see if makes any difference....

You could try... A few people have reported receiving "perfect" PD30s so there may be some out there. Don't expect the first replacement to be the one though. I've given up having sets delivered to my house now - they just unpack them at the shop and I go in with my "snow scenes" DVD to see if they measure up. So far they haven't :mad:

4. Lestat

Lestat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    blindlemon: Yeah, it could be doming i'm experiencing... Durn, doesn't sound like there's any solution but try for a replacement. I also have another 10 days where i can get my money back, no questions asked. It's just that i really LIKE this TV with the exception of said problems - everything else is really nice. :(

Maybe i'm really sensitive to white impurity, my FP1375x 22" CRT had slight discoloration on the left side which prompted me to send it back - 5 other people couldn't see it even when i pointed it out, but i could see it every time. Sometimes being overly sensitive isn't a good thing. :(

L