Red battery warning light intermitant error

S

Steve1000

Hi does anybody else have the problem where the reb (battery) electrical warning light comes on sporadically even when stopped in traffic. When this happens the windscreen heating element wil not work. I have had this problem for a couple of months now, it is only the heated windscreen that is affected.
I have measured the charge on the battery and the charge going into it and they are OK. Does anybody have an idea how to resolve it before i go and throw my hard earned money at Ford?

Did you do a drop test on the battery or just measure the voltage? as the voltage wont tell you much. I would get a proper battery test done then check that the alternator is putting out enough voltage too.

It sounds more like a charging issue, similar thing happens alot with the MR2's when the IC regulator goes.

Does anybody have an idea how to resolve it before i go and throw my hard earned money at Ford?

Which Ford is it, we had exactly the same problem with our C-Max, the alternator finally failed and had to be replaced.

Si

What is the tickover speed?

If the speed is slow, the alternator output is low. This can light your warning lamp.

Hi Sorry yeah that would have been usefull to list the car details.

05 Ford Focus Zetec Climate 1.6 Automatic. with 18,000 miles

This is a safety feature , low battery voltage will disable the heated screen due to its heavy load , it would drain the battery in seconds otherwise .

We had a similar fault on a Ford , a new alternator , £175 supplied & fitted , from my local garage cured it .

Before you do , as mentioned check the battery terminals for tightness & the electrolyte level in the cells . If it is the battery then you must get a silver battery , it has a sensing circuit on it that Ford use for smart charging .

What voltage are you reading ?

Last edited by a moderator:
About 1000rpm, but it sometimes lights up when i am travelling down the motorway at 69.9 mph :D
Or while driving around locally.

About 1000rpm, but it sometimes lights up when i am travelling down the motorway at 69.9 mph :D
Or while driving around locally.

Alternator I'd say , ours did the same which was puzzling at the time .

Maybe get a reconditioned one or 2nd hand from a scrappie to check , £25 or thereabouts .

Our replacement was a genuine Lucas supplied & fitted , Ford wanted nearly £350 fitted from memory .

I have measured the charge on the battery and the charge going into it and they are OK.

what the voltage reading @ tickover..

Even if the voltage reads near 14v at idle there can still be a problem. Check the yellow pages and find a place that does recon alternators, they will be able to tell you if the alternator has had it.

Nothing wrong with the tickover speed.

That leaves you with the alternator exciter wire or the alternator itself.

I'd try and trace the exciter wire plug connection. They often get corroded situated where they are (under the gearbox / clutch bellhousing area.)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom