Recycling old PVRs

Pontecorvo

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I have a 10 year old Humax and its predecessor, a Panasonic PVR, both of which are surplus to requirements but the green person in me doesn't want to put take them simply to the dump (recycling centre). Both cost well over £200 when new and still, technically function (though clunkily and without HD). Is there any way one can re-use the hard drives, or are they fit only for recovery of the metals by recycling?

Drives could go in suitable HDD caddys (or suitable PC case) and be re-formatted to act as backups for video type material. They are probably CE/AV drives so don't have error correction in firmware. Also be quite small capacity.

You could, perhaps, sell the PVRs or disks on the Classifieds here or to CeX or similar places, or donate to some Charity shops who may be able to resell? {There may be few takers though?}

Yes, charity seems the way to go.
(The sight of hundreds of electronic/digital gizmos in the massive skip at my local dump is pretty shocking!).
Much appreciated.

No. The drives will basically be unsuitable. The place for these is unfortunately the recycling centre. The other side of Moores law is that after a decade, of device performance doubling every 18 months, there is a a gap of 150 times between then and now. The metals inside are all thats valuable!.
I agree that an excellent preventive..not a cure, for consumer itwantitis is to visit the local dump. It works for me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom