Recycling bin men just throwing empty boxes and bags back to door and over cars.

brad123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a Ring doorbell cam and just picked up the recycling binmen doing their thing. However not sure if it's me being picky but the young lad doing it was emptying the boxes into the wagon then just throwing it back to the pavement from the roadside, then also throwing the white bags back too, sometimes over the top of cars. Firstly there are a few cars which aren't cheap on the road side near me and its a case of when not if they damage these cars. Secondly every month we have to order a new box as they are cracked and damaged from when they throw them.

I just wondered are anyone elses bin men like this, is it the norm or ours? I appreciate what they do but just seem a bit heavy handed even for bin men.

I just wondered are anyone elses bin men like this, is it the norm or ours?
Yours.

Unless you inform the council how will the behaviour be changed?

Recycling here is done in wheelie bins.

Yep, they are supposed to return bins in a tidy fashion but basically as long as they are on the pavement that is fine. But in fairness to the binmen the companies that got the contracts promised much but as time went on they have cut staff to maximise profits so the binmen are pushed for time to get round their streets.
Council really does not care as complaints are largely ignored.

If its like ours they are probably employed on a day by day contract by the actual company not the council and they have to do a run a day to get paid. Ours seem to do 12 to 14 hours as it depends on how much there is to collect.

Probably would be cheaper and easier to just have a wheelie bin for recycling and just tip it all in and let them sort it out at the depot.

Probably would be cheaper and easier to just have a wheelie bin for recycling and just tip it all in and let them sort it out at the depot.

That's what they do here, but previously they supplied two boxes, one for paper/cardboard and the other for everything else.

But when the collectors came round, they just emptied both into the back of an open lorry! :facepalm:

What annoys me is that there is requirement for your bins before they'll be collected;

• Lined up alongside your property entrance
  • No earlier than 12 hours before due collection time
  • The lid must closed
  • Must be no contaminated items in bins
  • Etc

But when it comes to putting the bins back after emptying? Just abandoned at the side of the road :mad:

Last edited:
report it because they are spot checked and audited!

Only found that out in the last couple of years when a friend who was ex Thomas Cook took up a new job with the council. One of her roles involves surreptitiously following random bin vans to check that they are doing the job in the way set out by the contracts. So collecting correctly, returning boxes/bins to a safe and sensible place and so on.

report it because they are spot checked and audited!

Only found that out in the last couple of years when a friend who was ex Thomas Cook took up a new job with the council. One of her roles involves surreptitiously following random bin vans to check that they are doing the job in the way set out by the contracts. So collecting correctly, returning boxes/bins to a safe and sensible place and so on.
Ah a member of the infernal "internal" audit team who's job it is to ensure all rules are followed to the letter.

The best thing about them is that they are their own worst enemies inside the council as if you can ignore the slightest item that is not perfectly within the rules and just say you thought it was a test by them which normally gets them told not to bother looking at that area again for a good while by the councillors who didn't want to get the hassle.

What annoys me is that there is requirement for your bins before they'll be collected;

• Lined up alongside your property entrance
  • No earlier than 12 hours before due collection time
  • The lid must closed
  • Must be no contaminated items in bins
  • Etc

But when it comes to putting the bins back after emptying? Just abandoned at the side of the road :mad:
How would they know if it's been put out early?

How would they know if it's been put out early?

Sad Les Miserables GIF

But when it comes to putting the bins back after emptying? Just abandoned at the side of the road
Annoys me too. As someone who's had a wheelchair user in their household I just push all of these obstructions back to the hedges. Now the neighbours who wait 48hrs before taking in their bins ..... ****S!

When they started using wheelie bins a few years back, the council sent round a letter saying they should be left on the curtilage.

They had so many queries that they had to send out a second letter explaining what "curtilage" meant! :D

Had my rear bumper fully resprayed due to bin man trying to pull two bins through a gap designed for 1.8 bins caught on camera.

Will give a big thumbs up though to how well it was handled from their side.

When they started using wheelie bins a few years back, the council sent round a letter saying they should be left on the curtilage.

They had so many queries that they had to send out a second letter explaining what "curtilage" meant! :D
I had to look 'curtilage' and I am still none the wiser.
"Curtilage is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as “an area of land attached to a house and forming one enclosure with it”, but the extent of the land, particularly in the case of a sprawling country estate or farmstead, and what constitutes 'enclosure' are often up for debate."

We have to put our black bags into council provided gull-proof bags or they won't collect them. The gull-proof and cardboard recyling bags are then just duly tossed in the general direction of the pavement whether it is anywhere near the right property or not. My neighbour has assisted collections so the dustman come down and collect her black bags from the side of her house rather than her having to lug it to the side of the road like the rest of us mere mortals have to and I have seen on my Ring doorbell, the dustmen emptying my black bag (with my house number clearly showing on it), throwing it on my path and then stepping over it to walk down the path to collect my neighbours - to me it would make more sense for them to just pick it up and bring it with them rather than leaving it to blow around the street.

I had to look 'curtilage' and I am still none the wiser.

Yes, it's not a word you hear in everyday conversation!

My understanding is that it's the boundary between your property and the public right of way.

So, leave the bin at the bottom of your drive or just inside the front gate (if you have one) but not blocking the pavement.

Of course, I would have done that anyway... :facepalm:

You're lucky you get them to come onto your property to collect the rubbish. I have to wheel it outside onto the pavement

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom