Recs for PJ Screen: 130"+, AT, Elec Motor, Tab Tensioned, Ceiling Recessed, non black room

kryten22uk

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently watch movies on my Optoma UHD40 4k projection direct on my wall. Its fantastic. I measured the picture last night watching Angels & Demons which was a 2.4:1 aspect ratio movie, and I comfortably got about 133" diagonal image (obviously the full diagonal projection was much bigger at a squarer aspect ratio).

I am revamping my lounge room home cinema setup such that I will no longer be able to use the wall as is. So I need a projector screen that will give me a similarly large viewing capability. The specs are therefore:

• Max width of screen 330cm, 130" or more in 2.4:1 aspect, basically getting the biggest screen i can
  • Unsure as to which aspect ratio the screen should be, perhaps 1.85:1 to maximise flexibility?
  • Accoustically transparent
  • Electrically operated
  • Tab tensioned
  • Will be installed within the ceiling void, hence can be either a dedicated ceiling box or just a normal box that i recess into the ceiling
  • The room is not perfectly dark. Its not that bright either, but in the summer evenings there can be a lot of ambient reflecting light.
  • Budget is not a primary concern, but I dont want to spend many £k's.

Wondering what people might recommend given the above? I've looked on Richer Sounds and they have certain Sapphire screens, but I'm not sure that there is one that matches my specs above.

Budget is not a primary concern, but I dont want to spend many £k's.
Not sure you will get anything that size to your specs without spending thousands unfortunately.

Not sure you will get anything that size to your specs without spending thousands unfortunately.
Happy to spend a few £k, just not many! My budgets tend to be flexible, depending on what ends up being necessary. But if we're talking say over £5k, then i may rethink my room plan.

Happy to spend a few £k, just not many! My budgets tend to be flexible, depending on what ends up being necessary. But if we're talking say over £5k, then i may rethink my room plan.
Speak to @Rickyj at Kalibrate he will be able to quote you a custom screen.

Ok I've done some more digging, and prices seem fine to me. But there isnt much choice at this size. I have no idea on how these brands compare, but i found the following. Any views? Ta

Screen Int Tiziano Tensioned Screen 2.9m 16:9 Lumi Grey Microperforated
Screen Int Tiziano Tensioned Screen 2.9m 16:9 Lumi Grey Microperforated
£1500

Sapphire Recessed Electric Tab Tensioned 301x169cm Projector Screen 16:9 SETC300WSF-AWOVEN
Sapphire Recessed Electric Tab Tensioned 301x169cm Projector Screen 16:9 SETC300WSF-AWOVEN
£2300

Saker Tab Tensioned Projector Screen, 332x187, AcousticProUHD
Saker Tab Tension 16:9 electric projector screen
£1940

Celexon DELUXX Cinema Electric Screen Tension 332 x 186cm, 150" - SOUNDVISION Acoustic
Celexon DELUXX Cinema Electric Screen Tension 332 x 186cm, 150 - SOUNDVISION - Acoustically Transparent - Projection Screens
£1590

Quick bump on this. Even if anyone has any knowledge on the brands in general, or anything elese to differentiate?

Have you looked at the Screenint Giotto range? its a flush ceiling model. i'm also looking with roughly the same criteria as you, same width too.

Have you looked at the Screenint Giotto range? its a flush ceiling model. i'm also looking with roughly the same criteria as you, same width too.
I've not looked at specific brands/ranges, as they never seem to sell the actual products on their brand websites, and I had no idea which brands were worthwhile looking at. So my research has primarily been looking on shop websites to find something available rather than looking at brands first.

Looking into SreenInt, it seems the Giotto is the ceiling recessed version of the Tiziano. But then they also have the Rafaello as a recessed version, and not sure what the difference is. Not that I can find them for sale..

From my research into Screenint, i think the Rafaello is fully recessed with a motorized flap to completely hide the screen whereas the Giotto is also fully recessed but no flap so you're left with a thin slot however the Giotto is a thinner cassette which would make a difference for me which is why i'm considering it (Tensioned with ALR fabric), plus you can have the visible cassette parts painted to a RAL colour. i've no idea if Screenint screens are any good and reviews seem thin on the ground.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom