1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recreating the cinema experience

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by powder40, Jul 9, 2003.

1. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watched the brilliant film Identity in the cinema on Monday and noticed that most of the sound effects were coming out of about 6 speakers on each side of the hall, so does anybody think that rear Home Cinema Speakers should be placed on a side wall. What I want to know is what's the best way of trying to reproduce the sound effects heard in the cinema because I didn't actually hear any rear effects they were all generated from the side and of course the front.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    That's where mine are, directly to the sides but also have Surround Backs behind me (for EX/ES). :)

3. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone think that all new dvd releases will be ES or EX soon, the reason I ask is that my name is down for a Pioneer 2011 and of course I want to get the most out of that amp. And if I add two Di Polar side speakers and keep the rears on the back wall will that do the job ok.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    I would imagine more and more films will be recorded in EX/ES as time goes on. Also the film doesn't have to be encoded in EX/ES for you to be able to enjoy the extra surround back channel, just switch on the EX/ES processing and it will work with normal 5.1 tracks. It's results can vary though, some films work well, others not so much.

Adding Dipoles at the sides and placing your rears on the back wall will work nicely. This is now the preferred setup/specification for THX Ultra2 although they specify that the Surround Backs should be placed as close together as possible. :)

5. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How high up the wall do you think the rears and side speakers should be and I take it you will not be able to hide the cable very well.

6. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    powder40 - I would read your instruction manual for your amp it should tell you, they do differ slightly, but as a rule the sides are directly to the side and about 1M above your head in your listening position, rears should be a similar height but id depends on how much room you have, mine are behind the sofa not ideal but it works OK.

With respect to the original thread the reason there are 6 speakers on the side wall is because there are multiple rows of seats and the sound system needs to cater to a large audience, which I think would compromise the sound over home cinema which has a more limited area to cover. I have not been at all impressed with cinema recently (I don’t get out as much now I have kids) I think my system at home sounds better but then its the whole experience you go for.

7. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I get your point about the Cinema speakers. Cant wait to upgrade my amp to the Pioneer just to see what it can do. Do you think the amp will have a big part to play when reproducing the centre dialogue which at the moment is weak (using Yam E800 processor). I noticed in the cinema the dialogue was very impressive.

8. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My last processor was a DSP A5, very similar processor to the E800 and I noticed a big difference when I upgraded, I did the upgrade for PLII but was surprised at the improvement in multi-channel performance also, you do need a good speaker though, the centre speaker is probably one the most important in an AV set-up as about 70% of a movies information will originate here. If you use sky or normal TV much you will love Pro-logic 2 it wipes the floor with the earlier format.

9. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I agree about the centre speaker using Pro Ac Centre and main speakers so I take it I'am not getting the best from that centre speaker. And do you think the sub will sound better when I upgrade to the Pioneer because at the moment the sub sounds a bit boomy when I turn the volume up on it. (sub is Velo CHT 10). Saying that I always have had trouble getting a sub to sound just right but have only ever had it connected to a Yam Processor. I always want to turn it up but like I say it then becomes boomy. Or by the way sorry for straying from the original thread.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It probably won't make any difference as the amplification is within the sub. You either have the sub volume turned up too high or else it is the room causing the problems. try moving the sub around the room to see how this affects the boom and although most people don't have a great deal of choice on where to site the sub, often a few inches either way can make a difference.

11. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it would be a good idea to try and get the sub set up correctly now then when I get the new amp I won't need to worry about the Velo. Would it be a good idea to set the sub up using some music or films (only use the Velo for movies). Looked at the settings and at the moment the X over is set to 60 the internal X over set to direct and the volume isn't even passed the first mark. Does this sound ok to you or is it all trial and error

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The settings will need to be changed when you get your new amp but it's still adviseable to set it up properly now as it won't be performing properly otherwise.

I will leave it to a Velodyne owner to give you more precise instructions though

13. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The thing about setting up a sub properly is you should not be able to tell it is there, it should integrate with the rest of the speakers and not sound like a big box banging away on its own.

14. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would the sub work down next to the listening position because some people I have talked to say it should be down the same end of the room as the rest of the front speakers.

15. Chrissywis

Chrissywis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Due to room layout restrictions I have may sub placed slightly behind me to my right. Despite the fact that I have the sub set for only the lowest frequencies (sub 50Hz), I can still tell that the sound is behind me. However it does sound more like an extension of the surround effect rather than specific bits of music that should be coming from the front. I should warn you that I have a large pair of front speakers (KEF 105.3) so there is loads of bass from the front to help the integration. The effect would probably be worse with a smaller front pair. Hope this helps.

16. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to try my sub behind me but as Ian said it could result in a sonic mess better try and find out