1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recovery of footage from minidv tape

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Aesma_Daeva, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Aesma_Daeva

Aesma_Daeva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I recently spent a fantastic day out, and started recording with my jvc cam in the morning. After 10 mins or so, I got a warning about head cleaning. As I don't carry a spare cleaning cassette around with me, I hoped all would be well as it's only a warning, and continued to record 60 mins through the day.
    when I got home I cleaned the heads, and tried to playback the footage. Nothing - blue screen - no footage. I borrowed a friends cam and managed to get half a screen of jerky video, but still unwatchable.

Does anyone have any idea how I can recover the footage, or am I screwed ? If the heads are mis-aligned, does this mean it's written half to the tape, and the rest is lost in the ether somewhere ?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

As you may guess, I'm now in the market for a new cam - any thoughts on the Canon MV850i vs Sony DCR-HC22 ??

Thanks

Paul

[vonhosen - edited comments as per forum rules on defamatory comments]

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried recording a new tape since you cleaned the heads - there is not necessarily a major problem with your camcorder - it was quite likely just the dirty heads , but if you didn't clean the heads when you were first warned it is very likely the signal was not recorded properly to your tape and if that is so you will not be able to watch what was not recorded.

I would certainly try a completely new tape after head cleaning before I started looking for a new camcorder.

3. Aesma_Daeva

Aesma_Daeva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not just looking for a new cam because of this one incident, this has happened before, and after some research seems to be a common fault with jvc camcorders.

When I record something with the cam it's usually important, so I don't want to take any chances with losing the footage due to poor quality equipment.

Thanks anyway.

Paul

4. Paul_Maycock

Paul_Maycock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The same thing happened to me using my panasonic. I put in a differnet tape and the problem cleared, don't know if it was just the tape or something else. Also cleaned the heads (they recommend once a month) and I record every scene for at least ten seconds just in case there are any 'glitches' on it usually at the start.