Recovering recovered files

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Amathanio, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Amathanio

Amathanio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have a serious problem with one of my SD Cards. I don't know exactly what happened but I was busy creating a backup from a SD on to a notebook. I left the room for a while and when i came back the notebook was shut down. Causing an unreadable SD Card who immediately ask for a format. Only 20GB of the 60GB (card of 64GB) was copied to the notebook.
    I tried everything. Several recoverprograms, one more succesful than the other, Linux, etc... But only one recoverprogram was capable to recover "something". I don't know how it comes but the SD card is getting worser and worser. Only one computer is capable of seeing the card and now it is seen as a 31MB card. Also formatting cannot be executed anymore. I lost my hope to recover from the card but I want to try to recover the files from the earlier recovery.
    The original files on the SD card are created by a GoPro. So, for every movie i made there are three files created:
    The original footage (*.MP4)
    The low resolution footage (*.LRV)
    The thumbnails (*.THM)​
    Unfortunatly, the recover created the following files:
    *.JPG (visible as a thumbnail but with a very large size)
    *.MP4 (low resolution videofile, aprox 500kb)
    *.MP4 (high resolution videofile (the same specs as the original footage file), aprox 600kb)​
    Both MP4-files cannot be played by any player of imported into any editing software. It seems that the video is converted into a JPG (according to the size) but the headerdata (resolution, framerate, etc...) is still in one of the MP4 files.
    I uploaded three files here: https://mega.co.nz/#F!2Z1zCDaa!sa5xEElYeHr3Iml6SoBoyQ
    Is there someone who knows a solution to recover the original or can play those new recovered files? Or someone who knows a extreme method for recovering from the SD card?

Thanks

2. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    It's possible you have a virus -OR- did the "shutdown" happen due to Laptop power being removed unexpectedly. We have recently been having storms and it is possible your laptop was shut down following a surge, or....
    The only Recovery program I found useful (free) was Recuvr . . . try a search.
    Sadly you may have to face that the card is jiggered.
    ...Good luck...
    You could try the Website for the card maker . . . they may have some suggestions, or offer to "test" the card - at least then you might learn what happened....

3. vkmast

vkmast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    harry probably means Recuva

4. Peter Brereton

Peter Brereton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I've found www.cardrecovery.com to be the most effective in recovering video or audio files (it can't recover supplementary files or the original folder structure). In my experience it works better than Recuva for simple file recovery. It isn't expensive and gives you a report of recoverable files before purchase.
    Good luck!!

Peter

5. Peter Brereton

Peter Brereton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Restorer Ultimate fro www.bitmart.net is another program worth considering. It gives you the option of saving an image file of the original card to your hard disc ...in your case that would produce an image file of around 60gb, you can then attempt recovery from the image file rather than risk further damage to your original card.

6. Gramuk

Gramuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'd have been tempted to have done an image copy of the SD card like Peter above suggests - Something like Norton ghost I've used in the past to clone HDD's but not sure if it works on cards though. Then that would have allowed working on an image file so as to avoid further changing any data on the SD card. I think I had to use an array of software tools to recover files from an HDD and even then only saved around 70% of the content - and still needed lots of work to restore file names etc. Good luck !

7. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,781
    Have you tried changing the file extension of the JPG to .mp4 and seeing if the file will now play?

8. Amathanio

Amathanio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I tried, it plays a movie but the only thing you see is the image in the movie.

Recuva, Cardrecovery, TestDisk, RestorerUltimate, RecoverMyFiles all tried, none worked.
    File Scavenger is the only one that was able to recover the original files but at the time, it was a trial. Now I have the full version but the SD card is allready unreadable.

9. kktdragon

kktdragon
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This has happened to me before and I solved it with testdisk, theres some options to play around with but you can get a complete dump of the card. If the file headers are damaged, there is a program that can rebuild it - I forgot what it's called but the trial rebuilds 50%, if you double the broken clip length, the program will recover 100% of it.

You can also try VLC media player to rebuild the file - there's tutorials around online.

Good luck.

10. michael008

michael008
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hello, Amathanio! Have you recovered the lost pictures and video files from the SD card?

11. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
    Probably moved on after three and a half years.:facepalm: