1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recovering from GSOD

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Phil_Yeoman, Feb 22, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone ever had a Tivo that has recovered from a green screen of death? I have had the dubious pleasure of having four deaths in the two years I have had TIVO. Over this period the machin has never repaired itself.

I must say that life without TIVO is but a hollow shell populated by watching "live TV" :thumbsdow. I just wish that the hardware was more stable.

2. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Reading on the Tivo forum and researching how it works before upgrading mine the GSOD appears when the machine is repairing a corrupted hard drive.

How long did you leave it? Were your Tivos upgraded? And if they were did you increase the swap space so the disc check/repair could complete successfully?

A lot of users have upgraded their machines to >= 120GB incorrectly and then when a GSOD does appear the program that fixes a corrupt disc cannot complete cause it doesn't have enough swap space.

3. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I left them well over 24 hours and at the time the upgrade was well under the 120gb mark. I must admit that the HD used were maxtors which in my experience are very unreliable.

My company returned over 30 last year alone. Its a shame we cann't use scsi there failure rate is much lower. In four years I have never had a single failure!

Just after I posted tivo did infact recover form gsod although the noise's coming from the HD do not boad well for the future:(

Phil