Recovering files from a slight formatted drive?

mrapbp

Hi All,

I have searched the web but there is endless stuff out there and most of it involves spending money!

I was trying to format a USB drive and accidentally clicked on my external backup/keep everything safe drive for about 3 seconds. I can now not access that drive at all or any of the info on it.

It sayd that I need to format the drive before using and that there is no recognised file system.

Can anyone suggest a way I can fix the drive or recover all the files (there is about 2.5TB) without spending a bunch of cash?

All help gratefully received!

Thanks!

spyder viewer

What do you mean "for about 3 seconds". Did you set it off and cancel? How did you stop the process?

was it a full format or a quick format? You may just have lost the partition info.

hirens boot disk Hiren's BootCD 15.2 - All in one Bootable CD » www.hiren.info will create a Linux based disk which can repair partition data and also recover files. Another that is well received is Recuva.

mrapbp

I did set it off and cancel, it was a quick format. I stopped it by pressing the cancel button.

I have used a free seagate tool and everything is still there, I just have to pay to recover it which I would rather not do!

whitestar96

Sounds like your partition info has been lost, you could therefore try either partition table doctor or paragon's partition manager.

mrapbp

Having spent most of the last day or so pissing about with this it seems like I cannot recover the files without paying a load of cash. Anyone have any other ideas?

I have had a look at the Hirens boot CD and there are loads of programs on there but I cant find anything that will repair the partition. Also cant see anything that will just remove the files. My skills are a bit limited to be fair so might be missing something.....

Had a look at the Best free partition management software and am not really sure what I am doing. I tried to rebuild the partition but that didnt work and after that I am a bit stuck.....

Any help appreciated chaps!!

bubblegum57

Sorry can't help. try posting in computing.net

Computing.Net

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
How much data do you have on the disk and do you have a spare one that you can use temporarily to copy data to?

Have you tried Recuva ?

mrapbp

I dont have a HDD big enough, there is a lot of data. If I could select what I copy from the damaged drive then that would probably work as I dont need it all.

I have tried Recuva but it just says the drive is not accessible as the parameter is not correct and wont let me use it.

How much data do you have on the disk and do you have a spare one that you can use temporarily to copy data to?

Have you tried Recuva ?

spyder viewer

I have had a look at the Hirens boot CD and there are loads of programs on there but I cant find anything that will repair the partition.

Any help appreciated chaps!!
One of it's strengths is the amount of stuff on it! 2/3rds of the way down is a section on recovery tools.

Kristian

I was trying to format a USB drive and accidentally clicked on my external backup/keep everything safe drive for about 3 seconds.
If it's your backup drive (i.e. you have two copies of your data) then why can't you complete the quick format and then copy everything back to this drive?

mrapbp

Thanks for all the help/suggestions chaps!

Tried about 20 of the various tools and all the suggestions I could get and I couldn't repair the drive and recover the data.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Ok if the data is important to you might need to invest some money in it.

Did you try R-Studio this has a trial version that allows you to test to see if you can recover and it will get most data from some severely broken disks assuming it hasn't been overwritten. It will do a deep scan if necessary but normally would see the file structure as its just a format.

It will then allow you to open the files and retrieve anything below 50kb on the trial. If it works you pay $50 for the full version and it will recover them all.

Did you unplug the disk at the time or something whilst it was formatting?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom