Recovering contacts following a reset to an HTC One M9

Tony B

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the HTC One M9, and a couple of weeks ago it went into some loop, where Sense was not working properly, and no keyboard inputs were possible.

I managed to do a back-up using the awful HTC Sync manager. HTC on-line back up was not possible, as I could not input the required PIN. I don't think Google back-ups have ever been enabled.

Eventually after much research, it seemed that the only solution was to do a full reset. Not trusting HTC Sync Manager, I also did a full copy of the phone's internal storage (using Windows Explorer).

Having done the reset, I attempted a restore from back-up, but the only data now on the phone is text messages. Nothing else has restored - call history, and most importantly my contacts (ca 2000 entries) are not present in the restore. The rest I am not so worried about as it should be available when I reinstall apps from the Playstore (?)

I am hoping the contact data is still in the clone that I created via Windows.

But where...and how do I restore from this clone?

Any and all help gratefully received!

If you haven't been syncing your contacts to the cloud, e.g. your Google account, then you have probably lost them. Local contacts will be stored in a place like/data/data/android.providers.contacts/databases (HTC might have a slightly different path). However this is only accessible if you are rooted and not accessible via Windows when you copied the data (adb would be needed). There would have been a option in contacts to export them to the SD card, but it's too late for that.
Your only hope is that the HTC sync has not restored them properly and someone can advise you where you went wrong. Have a search through any of the folders you have from the phone for '*.db.' as that might pick something up.

An update.

I have managed to find some contacts on the "restored" phone, but only a proportion (maybe 50%) and these contact records contain only the name, no phone number or any other data for each record.

I think I am going to try another restore, to see if I can get a better result, before I waste too much effort in creating new data on the phone.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom