Recover hard drive info from removed hd on eMac

C

Chemjen

I just disassembled my hard drive from my broken eMac. I need to get the information off of it, and would like (if possible) to somehow transfer that info to my new MacBook. How can I do this? Is it even possible?

Yep, totally possible and pretty painless too . . .

You will need a IDE to USB device, can be found on the well known auction site for around £10-12 delivered if you are in a right now sort of rush then Maplin should be able to help.

Basically you are looking to connect a 3.5" IDE (PATA) Hard drive to the USB port of a computer. :lesson:

Then connect to MacBook with the power supply connected to the old eMac HD and the old HD should just appear :thumbsup:

You can then copy your files over to the MacBook, I would suggest you have a look on the Apple support website as it details everything there that you may want to restore i.e. Email, Keychains etc... that would save you hours of time.

Another option is to use the Migration Assistant tool to restore all of your data/settings/accounts from the eMac HD just connect the HD as above then launch the Migration Assistant ;-)

R

The OP of this thread has exactly the same problem. You may want to wait until he has confirmed that the USB-IDE adaptor he bought is fully functional before getting one yourself. Or borrow.

I still haven't got this gadget working but the company has told me they will send another. I'm expecting it any day soon....

I've also looked into various drive docks but can't make up my mind to pay the extra money just in case the problem is with my HD....if it's fried - and I suppose I won't know that until I try something else - then I guess I'm really in trouble regarding getting any data off the emac...

Thanks to everyone that replied! I really appreciate you taking the time to consider my problem and help me out!!!!

Got the replacement product today and just tried to use - still nothing happening....! Surely two of them can't be rubbish....? Any other suggestions as to what to do next guys?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom