Recording & Watching with DVD Recorder

np1664

Standard Member
Hi, I want to replace VCR and DVD player with a DVD Recorder + HD. I have a sky box (freesat) and TV to connect. Am I right in saying that If I am recording using a standard DVD Recorder+HD then I have to watch the channel being recorded with no option to watch sky free sat (via AV) whilst recording terrestrial BBC1, 2, ITV1 or Ch4 or visa a versa. My old vcr would allow me to tape one and watch the other.

I am looking at a sony RDR-HX725 Recorder but do not want to be restricted to the fact that if I'm recording something then the channel is fixed.

Would I need a DVDR+HD+Tuner to overcome this and allow me to do what I could with the VCR? Something like the Liteon A760GX.

Please excuse my ignorance but haven't quite been able to get an answer from scanning the forum. Thanks

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Hi, I want to replace VCR and DVD player with a DVD Recorder + HD. I have a sky box (freesat) and TV to connect. Am I right in saying that If I am recording using a standard DVD Recorder+HD then I have to watch the channel being recorded with no option to watch sky free sat (via AV) whilst recording terrestrial BBC1, 2, ITV1 or Ch4 or visa a versa. My old vcr would allow me to tape one and watch the other.

And you still can...in the same way you did it with your VCR.
If you are recording Sky you can watch terrestrial TV via the TVs internal tuner.
If you are recording Terrestrial using the DVDRs tuner you can watch Sky via the AV input on your TV.

np1664

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply - Just to check - If I went for the Sony RDR-HX725 then it has it's own tuner? I saw the Liteon A760GX advertised as DVR+HD WITH Tuner and therefore assumed that standard DVDRs, such as the Sony, did not come with an internal Tuner (analogue) - I do not want integrated Freeview.

As you can tell I'm a mere novice so this sort of basic advice and help is invaluable to me. thanks

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply - Just to check - If I went for the Sony RDR-HX725 then it has it's own tuner?

All DVDRs come with an inbuilt tuner...most that I know of anyway.
The Sony model you mention has an Analogue (not Freeview) tuner and would be preferred by most regular contributors to this forum over the Liteon.

np1664

Standard Member
I was leaning toward the Sony over the Liteon, it's just I was thrown by whether they both had in-built analogue tuners or not. You've answered my question and therefore the Sony it is. Thanks again.

PS are there any DVDRs or PVRs out there that have analogue AND freeview tuners built in and you can switch between the two? I need an analogue DVDR tuner at the moment as we have very poor freeview coverage, but in a couple of years they will boost the digital signal.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
PS are there any DVDRs or PVRs out there that have analogue AND freeview tuners built in and you can switch between the two?

I think some of the Panasonic models have a tuner which covers both Analogue and Freeview.

Gavtech

Administrator
I think some of the Panasonic models have a tuner which covers both Analogue and Freeview.

The current range do... but a general note to potential buyers: You ought to think about this issue pretty quickly.

The new range of Panasonics coming out in a few weeks appear to have a digital only tuner... so it appears that dual analogue / digital tuner models will be disappearing from the marketplace very soon.

Those who only have partial or zero freeview coverage currently should think about this as a matter of urgency... as they go into the transitional phase of the next few years.. a dual tuner would be a distinct advantage... but it seems you don't have much time left to get one.

np1664

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice, Looked at the Panasonic, as recommended, with analogue and freeview tuner and looks like it would do the job, however it is a little bit beyond my budget.

Would this work? .....
If I got a DVDR+HD with built-in freeview tuner (eg Sony HXD860), would I still be able to record TV analogue BBC1, 2, ITV1 and Ch4 and set top box (sky free sat). or would it force me only to record from the built in freeview channels, which is no good as I have very bad freeview reception at the moment.

If I can record analogue and free sat then this would allow me to get the "all in one" box now, and have the freeview in place if/when the signal improves.

your help is much appreciated.

Gavtech

Administrator
Thanks for the advice, Looked at the Panasonic, as recommended, with analogue and freeview tuner and looks like it would do the job, however it is a little bit beyond my budget.

Would this work? .....
If I got a DVDR+HD with built-in freeview tuner (eg Sony HXD860), would I still be able to record TV analogue BBC1, 2, ITV1 and Ch4 and set top box (sky free sat). or would it force me only to record from the built in freeview channels, which is no good as I have very bad freeview reception at the moment.
As the Sony 860 only has a digital tuner ... no, you would not be able to record Analogue channels, as it has no analogue tuner.
You could record the terrestrial channels from your sky free sat box presumably ... but that would tie you to watching the channel you record unless you watched analogue using your TV's tuner.... and is messier and less controllable from the point of view of timer recordings.

An analogue / digital dual tuner is definitely the best compromise for you in your current circumstances.
But I am puzzled - Which Panasonic model were you looking at? ... because if you are looking at the Sony 860 ... then you are in the same price ballpark as say the Panasonic EX75... which does have dual A/D tuners.
If I can record analogue and free sat then this would allow me to get the "all in one" box now, and have the freeview in place if/when the signal improves.
That's why you really need a dual A/D tuner to tide you over the transition period.

np1664

Standard Member
googled Panasonic dual tuners and found the EX85 (+£400), however now found the EX75, as you suggest, and it fits the bill perfectly and yes is priced around the Sony 860.

Thanks to all the advice I now have a straight forward decision to make:

1) Sony HX725 (£200) and stick with analogue recording for now and then in the future stay with free sat or get a separate freeview box.
2) Panasonic EX75 (£300) - does what I need it to do now with freeview future proofing built in?

cheers

Gavtech

Administrator
2) Panasonic EX75 (£300) - does what I need it to do now with freeview future proofing built in?

Yes in answer to your ?

Have a look at the 'Today's offers' box at the head of this part of the forum:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=113

There are 18 offer prices there [ inc delivery ] - Use the drop down box to see them - and they are more typically in the price range of £275 to £300.

Good luck.

If you do opt for an EX75 - don't delay too long... They are likely to start getting scarce when the new models are released.

np1664

Standard Member
Amazon have the EX75 for just over £300, but caught my eye as the spec says DivX compatible. Do you think this is an error on their description or are they selling the european version?

ChainsawDude

Thanks to all the advice I now have a straight forward decision to make:

1) Sony HX725 (£200) and stick with analogue recording for now and then in the future stay with free sat or get a separate freeview box.
Would I spoil your straightforward decision if I suggested the Pioneer DVR-440HX-S (~£230) which has both analogle and digital tuners and is of equal quality to Sony/Panasonic.

np1664

Standard Member
thanks for the Pioneer suggestion, however this is a 80gb HD and the others are 160gb (which I would prefer). The 160gb version of he Pioneer slips up to the £330 price range. The equivalent Panasonic can be had (after a little searching around) for around £270. that said the Pioneer does look like a good system - and definitely has Divx compatibility.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom