1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recording w/screen from camcorder...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by manny, Sep 30, 2003.

1. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    evening folks. wondering if any of you can help me. i'm hoping to get a dvd recorder real soon. i've been filming away with my camcorder in anamorphic widescreen and i'd like to know, if i put this onto disc, does it work like a commercial dvd? i.e. if i watch on a widescreen t.v. will it automatically pop to wide, and if the dvd player is set to 4:3 will it add black bars top and bottom, or should my girlfriend become resigned to showing her family long thin versions of our holidays? if anyone can help i'd be much obliged

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I didn't think any of the camcorders on the consumer market had 'true anamorphic WS'. Unless you are using an expensive anamorphic lens.

The only other 'electronic' methods i know of should be AVOIDED as you will lose resolution.

I must admit, i've lost touch with the camcorder scene lately and unless they've started putting 16:9 CCDs in them you're best sticking with good old 4:3.

Either way you are stuck with what's on the tape and would need to use some PC software to downscale the anamorphic image to 4:3 letterbox

3. Jonroberts123

Jonroberts123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The new Sony 16x9 mode is rather good - fitted to most models starting at PC105/ TRV33

5. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    REgardless of what cam you have -If you say your are recording in anamorphic 16x9 and burn to cd IT WILL strech out. You are correct in your assumption that it will work like any commercially available DVD. I have the Sony TRV33 and have done exactly that and it works exactly that way.

The only BIG thing I need to make you aware of is - you might screw it all up depending on the software you use to put it on the DVD.
    I use Ulead DVD movie factory to capture (no edit) and create my DVD files. There is an MPEG setting when capturing that you must set to 16:9 otherwise it does NOT transfer it accurately. By default it's set to 4x3.

good luck.