Recording/viewing flexibility when connected to a Panny IDTV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wolfie1, Oct 18, 2005.

1. wolfie1

wolfie1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can anyone help me with this typically "newbie" query?

Will shortly be buying a Panasonic TX28DTM1 IDTV and Panasonic DMR-EH60D DVD recorder (both Q-Link compatible)

With this set up will I be able to:

1. Watch analogue while recording digital
    2. Watch a Freeview digital channel while recording any other Freeview digital channel.
    3. Watch either analogue or any Freeview channel while the DVD is in timer mode and set to record either analogue or digital (but not actually recording).
    4. Record any channel with the TV OFF (i.e not even in stand-by)
    5. Watch a previously recorded programme (digital or analogue) whilst recording an analogue or digital channel.

In other words, will I have complete viewing/recording flexibility?

I see that the TV has a timer which (according to the downloaded instruction manual) can be used to be set up timer recordings instead of setting the timer of the "external device". Do I need to use the TV timer at all? Surely I can set up all my timer recordings (digital and analogue) on the DVD recorder (like I have always done with my VCR).

My query arises from some posts I have read which suggest that TVs have to be left in stand-by to make recordings, some timer recordings not working and other glitches. Perhaps this has been due to recorders connected to non-digital TVs, or incompatibility between recorders connected to TVs made by a different manufacturer.

Thanks to anyone who can offer help.

2. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Yes to all. :)
    The TV 'timer' is only really for Q-link programming of the recording device. With the EPG of the EH60D you would just use its timer.
    You need to leave some iDTV's on standby to record from their digital tuners but with the EH60D having one built in, you won't need to do that either..
    As long as you get decent digital reception, you won't really use Q-link or analogue. Although I still much prefer analogue text - much quicker.