1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording video to CanonMV730i

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by pzd, Jul 26, 2005.

1. pzd

pzd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an MV730i and with the connectors supplied can play tape FROM my camcorder into the TV but am having problems going the OTHER way! ie I wish to record from the TV into my MV730i.
    I follow the 'manual' instructions, but no picture appears on my camcorder screen and the recorded items are simply blank!!
    Can any MV730i user help me out?? Thanks.
    :lease:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    My gues would be that the problem lies with the scart adapter you are using (well I assume you are using!). What you need to do is replace the adapter that was supplied with the cam with one of These. The reason for the problem is that scart is a directional connector and the one supplied is only normally designed to work with the signal going from the cam into the TV or VCR. The one I've linked to has a switch and therefore can be set to work in both directions.
    These switchable adapters are normally available from most AV shops including Maplin if you want to go and get one today.

Mark.

3. pzd

pzd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Mark, but I was just using the three coloured leads plugged into the front of the TV - as the manual doesn't mention having to use the scart (and I was just looking for an easy way round the buying another scart, as I'm 20 miles from my nearest elec shop!!).
    Obviously not a 'goer'!
    Cheers.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well the problem here is that the connections on the front of a TV are normally inputs only and wont output what is on the TV. To get an output from a TV you are likely to need to connect to the scart or RCA's on the back and even then there is no guarentee that any of the connections will be outputs.

Mark.

5. pzd

pzd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again, Mark, will need to travel to pick up an adapter (the link you gave isn't shipping till 8th August, unfortunately) and use the scart on the TV/Video.
    ps the video editing is going very well - thanks.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Same thing from Maplin Here.

Mark.

7. pzd

pzd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,
    Just to say thanks. Got the adapter today (from Cableuniverse) and it is working fine.
    Found I can go straight through the camcorder to computer capture without having to put onto DVD camcorder tape! (The things I'm learning!!), plus I can now do the same with my old VHS-C tapes straight from old Panasonic camcorder direct to capture in computer.
    This will save me a lot of time and hassle - so thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. :thumbsup: