1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording using a DAP

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Agincourt, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I want to record using my DAP (iRiver H340) for eventual copying to conventional audio CD. Before anyone suggests it, I've tried using the Line In on my PC, but it's too noisy and I have been unable to trace the source. I want the best quality possible. My question is, what format should I use? :lease: The H340 offers MP3, WMA, OGG and ASF.

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I'm not sure you understand the question you're asking.

What are you trying to record?
    Are you trying to record using the DAP or using the DAP to play back into the PC?

3. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am trying to record from an external source to CD. The CD must be playable in an ordinary CD player. When I have tried recording using the line in on my PC the result has been unacceptably noisy (there's a continuous buzzing, which I cannot eliminate - I suspect the computer's fan or PSU). I therefore am considering using the line in on my DAP to record. The recordings could then be copied to my PC and burnt to CD. My question is simply which format would be best suited to my needs, or does it not matter?

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    To cut a long story short, I'd suggest you take a look at the H300 manual if you want to do it that way. The formats that you've mentioned are those that the H320 supports in playback, not recording, which is only in MP3.

If it's a low-pitched constant "bwummmmmmmmmm" type of sound, you're experiencing a ground loop. It's a common problem, but there's not always the same fix. What is it that you're trying to record from?

5. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you - I've just read the manual and come to the same conclusion. I'll try MP3 at maximum bitrate and see how it goes.

What you are describing sounds about right - a low continuous buzz. I'm recording from a turntable to the line in via a separate phono amp (my hi fi amp doesn't have a line out). I would like to use other sources as well. The software I'm using is Audacity.

Any advice gratefully received.

6. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Last night I experimented by copying from MD to PC using Audacity with no problems. So it seems the noise is coming from my turntable. More investigation this evening... Does anyone have any clues that might help me?

7. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Extremelydodgy - you were spot on. After reading your post I googled ground loop and read up on it. I then wired up a common earth between the PC case and the turntable and, the job's a good 'un, no more buzzing!
    I have now successfully made my first 'clean' recording.

So, thank you very much indeed, Extremely dodgy, and my Top Tip to anyone struggling to make decent copies from vinyl, check your earths - running them both from the same wall socket isn't necessarily enough.