1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording TV onto my PC - help!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by adamtodd, Jul 2, 2003.

1. adamtodd

adamtodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I want to set up my PC (in my office) to be able to record TV from my
    sky box (which is currently connected to my TV in the lounge) - and
    then I want to be able to play back the recordings through my TV in
    the office.

So - I know I need a TV card to get the signal into the PC. And I know
    I can use a wireless SCART link so I don't need to run a cable from my
    lounge to my office. But can anyone recommend a good TV card for my PC
    that I can use as a video recorder, and will accept a SCART input?

As for how to get the recorded signals out onto my TV in the office -
    how do I do this? And any recommendations for kit I need for that??

All advice really appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Adam

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YOu don't need a TV card to get SKY into your PC. As far as I know there are no cards available for PC use with sky tuners built in. THis means that you will have to use a video capture card in the PC plugged into the sky box to capture and record the video. Then you would use a graphics card with TV output "TV-out" in order to play it back.

To be honest though, you will get better results if you don't bother and buy a standalone DVD recorder or SKY+ box if that's all you intend to use the PC for.

J

3. adamtodd

adamtodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Sky + would probably be a better standalone solution, but I refuse to give sky any more money, and I already have the PC - I just need the cards.

What I'm trying to do is use the PC to provide some sort of convergance - use it as a video recorder, music storage/playing, internet access - all viewed via the TV screen, and operated with wireless keyboard and mouse. Plus I can use it standalone with a normal monitor for games.

So - can anyone recommend a good Video Capture Card, with PVR software, and a good (but not dramatically expensive!!) graphics card with TV out?

4. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having gone thru the same approach as you, I think there's a lot of sense to John_N comments.
    I also have Sky+ and my aim for the HCPC is to move stuff from Sky+ onto the PC to store on DVD.

I have 2 capt cards with different chipsets, and have tried some of the PVR software... which claim to save as MPEG I and II.
    My experience is the results of this are pretty bad. (depends on your personal definition of good quality...)
    These MPEG PVR softwares are highly dependant on the speed and setup of yr PC, otherwise you get lots of dropped frames and the MPEG artefacts on moving areas of the picture can be horrendous.
    That's why - for serious recording <archiving> work, most people will capture first to AVI (good freeware available for that) using a low loss / lossless codec (PICvideo at qlty 19 or HuffYUV) and then convert afterwards to MPEG using smthg like TMPGenc.
    But this is very time consuming and not exactly = PVR functionality.
    To capture with good reliable qlty you need a MPEG hardware capture card like the VIDAC Vmagic... but these are much more expensive than a TV capture card. These go between 300 - 400 €

AND
    as far as I have seen, the "wireless" trasmitters for SCART signals (such as Digisender) are only transmitting the composite video pin from the scart, which means you'll be losing quality compared to full-blown SCART (RGB). Most capture cards have composite & S-vid inputs. Haven't seen any with SCART (to make use of the RGB). So you'd either use a Digisender, and then a SCART to Composite + Stereo L/R cable converter into your PC cards (3 x RCA connects), or use a SCART RGB to s-video signal transcoder and use a S-vid cable into the s-vid input on the capt card for best vid qlty (which I think would be the preferred route)... but then you have to lay a cable. Otherwise you have to settle for composite video quality

This can all get very messy, complex and frustrating.

If all you want to do is have PVR capability with better than std VHS qlty... I'd go for
    - Sky+ (or if you hate Sky SO much... a used TIVO ?)
    - DVD recorder / PVR (more expensive initially, but maybe equalises out after a year or so of Sky+ monthly fees)
    - s-vid qlty video recorder (some even with built in PVR)

A philips DVD recorder allows you to move the DVD file to yr PC for editing & burning to DVD for permanent storage, but the only disadvantage for me would be lack of optical audio in (from my Sky+), but if you only have a normal digibox... that won't matter.. you'd use the analog audio in.

and to answer your question - the preferred capt card at the mo seems to be the one from PC World (with the Philips chipset) but it can be tricky to get this to capture at full DVD resolution with VirtualDub programme as that only works fully with Video for Windows drivers on cards with older chipsets like Conexant / Brooktree 8x8.
    I have the TERRATEC Cinergy 400 which uses similar Philips chip. The PVR software with that I think only saves as AVI.
    I tried WinVCR and PowerVCR (names ?) but wasn't happy with results.

Cards - almost all Radeon card designs have VGA + DVI + S-vid.
    If you want to go back to the SCART input, you'd need another transcoder to convert back to RGB. Some cards support composite out from the s-vid connector, which could go to a SCART cable converter. Otherwise just run the s-vid out from vid card to the s-vid-in on the TV

Steve

5. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent advice Steve!! i have a PB-100 tv card can you tell me what prog i should use to capture at full resolution with Huffyuv? obviously Vdub doesn't work....anyone know what i could use?