recording TV on PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gazz, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Gazz

Gazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Howdy all,
    I've scanned a number of places but haven't yet solved this issue......
    I've got a PC which is hooked up to a DVD DL burner and to the sky+ box via an s-vid feed into a Hauppage Win TV card.
    There's some stuff on the Sky+ which I want to put on DVD, and it seems to me it should be a breeze to record the ouput of the sky box on the PC then burn the files to DVD. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be that easy.
    Using the software that came with the card produces garbled sound and double speed jumpy video and I can't seem to find any other software that is freely downloadable and just simply captures video/audio input. I've found a few that have all the funky pause and rewind facilities but they cost a bit and I literally just want to capture a vid/aud stream into the PC and put it on a DVD, nothing more than that. PC speed or memory shouldn't be an issue so any suggestions would be v helpful.
    Many thanks to you all - Gazz

2. BigBry

BigBry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use WinDVD creator 2 from Intervideo. It's not a freebie (although it is often bundled for free with some TV cards or motherboards etc).

It's not the best software I've ever used and does seem to frequently crash after capturing a whole TV show without affecting the file fortunately.

I did briefly try Dscaler 4 but found the lipsync went haywire the further the recording went, but that may have been my setup. The advantage is it's free software.

You could always consider MCE 2005 with some of the freely available add-ons for DVD recording (assuming your TV card is MCE compatible).

3. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Just last week I transfered some VHS to DVD using a Hauppauge PVR150.

I used the latest Hauppauge drivers & Win TV app. I tried using scart>s-video from the VHS player but it was B&W so used the humble RF instead.

Worked great. Burnt the resulting mpegs to DVD using Nero Vision.

So it can be done. What exact model of TV card do you have? The PVR150 has an onboard MPEG-2 hardware encoder, which is a fairly important asset for a capture card.

D.

4. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    have a look under tools at www.dvdrhelp.com - i had a dazzle capture card and the software was crap, so i downloaded some freebie software from somewhere a few years back and it was far better, and had a timer that the original software lacked

5. Gazz

Gazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks, all, for your advice - it's most helpful and will no doubt save me time and money.
    Can't remember what exact card it is in my PC (will check when I get home tonight) but I'm pretty sure it's not one of the PVR ones, so I doubt it's got onboard MPEG encoding. Can it still be used though? I went out wandering and found the X-oom.com software called "Videos on DVD" on sale at PC World for £15 quid. Worth the investment do you think or would the lack of MPEG encoder on the card render it useless?

6. Gazz

Gazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Update for you all (assuming of course I haven't bored you all away)
    I went for deksawyer's experience and grabbed myself a Happauge Win-TV PVR150 yday and installed it last night. So far so good - only slight surprise was the video runs with about a half second delay so when you're watching a source that's feeding S-Vid to the card and audio directly to your amp, the audio and video don't sync up at all.
    It seems you'd have to run an audio feed from your source to the card to lock the sync, then feed the audio back to the AV amp from the line out of the sound card which sounds a bit round the houses.
    Deksawyer - do you (or of course anybody well versed in these things) know a way to get rid of the video delay?

Once again, thanks for all collective knowledge so kindly shared in these forums.
    Gazz

7. BigBry

BigBry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just half a second! In my experience digital sound into an amp and s-video into the Hauppauge gave about 2 or 3 seconds lip-sync!

Have you any audio delay settings on your amp?

8. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    It will be out of sync as the TV stream is going through a buffer before being displayed, whereas the audio direct to your amp is not.

The only way I can think to get rid of the delay is plug the audio into the PVR150 then from the PC to your amp.

I don't use the PVR150 for TV as I have dual Nova-T's in my MCE machine.

D.

PS If your amp is a newish home cinema receiver then it might have lip-sync adjustment.......?

9. Gazz

Gazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Happy Monday
    No lip-synch adjustment on the amp. I did a quick check with a watch and it's actually close to 1 second delay so......
    I'm using a JS RGB to S-Vid converter (which seems to give a better S-Vid picture than the built-in S-Vid socket on the Sky+ box) so I took an audio feed from the "RGB pass through" scart on the converter straight into the Hauppauge card. Fired up the PC and muted the line in to disable the feed from the amp. The feed into the Hauppauge card presents itself on the Wave input fader on the PC vol control. The level was pretty low so I had to lift it to max, but Presto! - perfect audio/video sync.
    I don't know if I'm imagining it but the audio into the Hauppauge card doesn't have quite the clarity as the audio into the sound card (from the amp) and it sounds to me like it's possibly clipping just a tiny bit. I'm not overloading the input stage though, so it could be my ears. I'll tweak some settings and let you know.
    Cheers again - Gazz